Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #1

Red face Had first accident

Had to happen someday I guess. We were coming home from a fantastic week at St George Island, FL when I got a little too up close and personal with a concrete post at a gas station. I should have backed up and swung around but thought I could make it pulling around. Wrong, the back end swung too far on my blind side and I clipped the post hard. Zero marks on the post but camper is a bit ugly.

Insurance adjuster just left and said he is 90% sure it can be repaired. Depends on the side panel, if it needs to come off then he is 90% sure they will total it! It's only two years old. We camp 5 times a year or so. He specializes in RV repair and has visited the factory in IN a few times. He is worried about the tube damage and repair work to the corner for the side panel. The rear will just need to be pulled and replaced.

Was curious if any others have gone through similar repairs and what I can expect. He has no idea on costs yet, just it will be "a lot". We have plenty of time, no trips are planned until the fall.

I have more photos if you like, these show the major damage.

[URL=http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/CHD_Dad/media/P6192439_zpsef4a8972.jpg.html]

CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

For those who have done "home repairs" after a minor bash up like this one; take heed. The adjuster is talking about totaling the camper if there is sidewall damage.

There is a very good reason for that. Like "uni-body construction," these campers don't take "hits" well. A bump in the rear can cause severe water intrusion up front due to the "racking" of the frame.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #3

That is a Easy Fix. How in the heck did the (Bumper Cap) stay on? Are you going to (Tape/Cover) the area until the results are in? Good luck. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

Ouch for sure, good luck gettng it repaired or a replacement unit.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Site Team

OH that sucks!!... best of luck on fixing, or getting a new unit.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
That is a Easy Fix. How in the heck did the (Bumper Cap) stay on? Are you going to (Tape/Cover) the area until the results are in? Good luck. Youroo!!
Happy you think its an easy fix! Its going to a repair center today or tomorrow, they are the largest in the Upstate area and about an hour away. They have done a lot of work on FR units and the in house insurance guy knows our adjuster. Not sure if that is good or bad!

No clue how the cap stayed on. It was a slow moving hit but sure was solid as you can see. The walls and frame look straight other than the rear wall of course. The repair center will tape over the area until they can get it in.

Wife is sort of hoping it gets totaled, she misses the deeper super slide we used to have! I am happy to just to have it repaired well enough to get several more years out of it at min. I sure dont want any other issues creeping up due to this one.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad View Post
Had to happen someday I guess. We were coming home from a fantastic week at St George Island, FL when I got a little too up close and personal with a concrete post at a gas station. I should have backed up and swung around but thought I could make it pulling around. Wrong, the back end swung too far on my blind side and I clipped the post hard. Zero marks on the post but camper is a bit ugly.

Insurance adjuster just left and said he is 90% sure it can be repaired. Depends on the side panel, if it needs to come off then he is 90% sure they will total it! It's only two years old. We camp 5 times a year or so. He specializes in RV repair and has visited the factory in IN a few times. He is worried about the tube damage and repair work to the corner for the side panel. The rear will just need to be pulled and replaced.

Was curious if any others have gone through similar repairs and what I can expect. He has no idea on costs yet, just it will be "a lot". We have plenty of time, no trips are planned until the fall.

I have more photos if you like, these show the major damage.

[URL=http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/CHD_Dad/media/P6192439_zpsef4a8972.jpg.html]

Looks like the entire side, rear cap and even some interior wall renewals, most likely a factory repair with transport, probably looking at most of the value. Is that wall damp at the bottom rear, looks like it pulled apart not sheared at the POC.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
DDC

If I ever am unlucky enough to be in your shoes I hope for a right off because its what you don't see that is the problem.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #9

We had a similar incident way back when - ours was also a gas station post but it was driver side right in middle of camper where slide meets camper wall - lots of damage trying to get it away 😞. We were a photo op at the RV park near Disney after that as they put us at the end of the main road so EVERYONE could look and point - looked like a huge can opener attacked it 😁
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #10

I had the same thing happen last year. Hit yellow post at bp, tore up storage door and slide out. Cost 5k to repair and 5 months in shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
harley1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1247 View Post
I had the same thing happen last year. Hit yellow post at bp, tore up storage door and slide out. Cost 5k to repair and 5 months in shop.
That's why I said he would be better off if it was a right off.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
For those who have done "home repairs" after a minor bash up like this one; take heed. The adjuster is talking about totaling the camper if there is sidewall damage.

There is a very good reason for that. Like "uni-body construction," these campers don't take "hits" well. A bump in the rear can cause severe water intrusion up front due to the "racking" of the frame.

Thanks for that bit of info... I would have never guessed that would total a TT.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #13

I have the estimate back this morning from the repair center and insurance company -

$8950 to fix completely. Almost $8000 of that is labor and paint work. Parts were just over $1000. The whole rear panel was only $350 or so for the panel. That surprised me. Repair center is telling us and insurance they can repair the side panel and after blending, paint and new decals will look "as new" according to the written quote.

No internal damage and no water damage. I was curious about the water damage as we had most of the interior celing replaced from that skylight recall last year.

No write off - estimated street value was $15-$16K on the camper so this is just over half its value in damage.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad View Post
I have the estimate back this morning from the repair center and insurance company -

$8950 to fix completely. Almost $8000 of that is labor and paint work. Parts were just over $1000. The whole rear panel was only $350 or so for the panel. That surprised me. Repair center is telling us and insurance they can repair the side panel and after blending, paint and new decals will look "as new" according to the written quote.

No internal damage and no water damage. I was curious about the water damage as we had most of the interior celing replaced from that skylight recall last year.

No write off - estimated street value was $15-$16K on the camper so this is just over half its value in damage.
Just watch out for delamination at the seam and the bottoms of the wall panels (wicking up from cracked bottom seals).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident