Old 10-03-2011, 03:41 AM   #1
MI Camperz

hard to heat

I just bought a 2006 cherokee 30f with ducted heat. It was very chilly the last night we camped and we turned on the heat. The furnace ran non-stop all night, but it never got that warm. The warm air coming out of the floor vents, seemed to barely trickle out, not really blow out well. Is this normal for TT? or What? Thanks for a reply.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
MI Camperz

Question hard to heat

Just bought a 2006 cherokee 30f which I love. We camped in chilly weather over the w/e and while the furnace ran non-stop, it didn't get that warm inside. It seems the the warm air just trickles out of the vents rather than blowing out well. Is this normal for TTs? or What? Thanks for a reply

Old 10-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #3

no thats not normal you should be able to warm up the TT and the furnace should not run all the time. checks the ducts see if they are blocked

http://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #4

what was your temp at the thermostat set for ?? if you had vents or windows opened at all this last weekend those 30-45 mph winds were probably sucking the heat out of your trailer almost as fast as the furnace could work... opening the door a lot ??
Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
MI Camperz

Thanks for your reply. No windows were open and the furnace was running. The problem, as I can see it, is the heat trickling out of the ducts without a forceful blowing. When you put your hand over the vents, air seemed to be barely coming out..like a tiny trickle only at best. Is this normal for RVs?
Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
MI Camperz

How do you check the ducts? I looked down through the vents and they looked okay, but can't see the whole length, obviously. Do I crawl under and literally take them apart to look? or What?
Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
How do you check the ducts? I looked down through the vents and they looked okay, but can't see the whole length, obviously. Do I crawl under and literally take them apart to look? or What?
Thanks

take the floor vent off see if a something is blocking the duct. I had a piece of duct hanging downing in the duct it lock the air going to bedroom vents

http://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. No windows were open and the furnace was running. The problem, as I can see it, is the heat trickling out of the ducts without a forceful blowing. When you put your hand over the vents, air seemed to be barely coming out..like a tiny trickle only at best. Is this normal for RVs?
Thanks
No this is not normal, you should have good air flow from the vents. Have you accessed the furnace and looked to see if everything was connected properly? The furnace in your RV is designed to be used with a variety of floor plans so the vents on the furnace that aren't used have covers/plugs over them. Make sure a cover didn't fall off.

Here's a pic of my furnace. As you look at the pic, the two circles on the right side are vent plugs. I've had one of them fall out and all of the hot air would be blowing into that small area and very little was going through the trailer vents. This has happened to me a few times. Hopefully, your problem is this simple.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #9

I have a different brand of trailer where the living area is about 33' long with 2 slides. When the heater/fan is running, it does not blow like the a/c. Airflow is a lot less. It seems to me, it runs "normal". RV does warm up nicely. Outside temps were about 50 degrees.

Where is your thermostat? Is it close to one the heater registers. If so, that could be the problem as it is too close.

I would try to run a fan, pointing it towards the thermostat to see if results are different. If so, run fan if plugged into electricity.

Also, cut Refletix to fit all windows to cut down transfer of heat. You should open a window a couple of inches and roof vent a couple of inches. You may need to find a 2" spacer to hold window open.

Watch out for condensation! Dehumidifier....

Hope this helps!
Pat
Old 10-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks
You should be getting some air blowing out with a "feel" of warm air coming out ...check those plugs ...is ...there a hole or cut in a vent tube some where ??