Old 04-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
2x Forest River Owner

Hardwired VR3 Backup Camera Doesn't Work!

So I spent the better part of the afternoon hardwiring a VR3 backup camera to my TT. Wired it into the wiring harness box for the hitch (in what appeared to be the wire for the running lights - I'm using it as a rear-view mirror instead of just for backing), ran about 75' of wire to the camera, drilled and mounted the thing, and now it doesn't work?!?!?!?!

There's power, it fires up, the screen comes on, you can see behind the trailer for a second, and then the screen goes blank!

I had tried it just simply plugged into the lighter socket in the car before going through the whole mess of running the wires and putting holes in my camper to make sure it worked. It did before!! Granted, that was only with a 25' extension as opposed the 75' I ran. However, VR3 says you can string up to 100' of wire, so I'd figured 25' short of that would be ok?

I may try a direct jumper to the TT battery in the AM to see if that works for a temporary fix??

Any ideas on what might have gone wrong?

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
2009 Salem 27RBS Travel Trailer
Formerly camped in a 2007 Flagstaff 228D Pop-Up
naganthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #2

I bought a VR3 and return it, I wanted a bigger monitor so I bought a Peak Saftey View for Costco, it has a 7" monitor for the same price. Now what I found out In the process is that a wireless camera will not work over 19'. I think that the transmitter on the VR3 is built into the camera. The one I have, the Peak Safety View has a seperate transmitter that can be placed just about anywhere. The closer the transmitter is to the camera the better it works. Right now my transmitter is installed above the tail light in the fender, I am going to move it to the in side of the cab of the truck. With the way it is now If I lean across the console of the truck my body breaks the transmission between the transmitter and the monitor but the monitor does not go dead it just flashs for a second or two. It sounds like you are out of range, If the camera is on the back of your rig and the monitor is In your truck, I would say you are out of the 19' limit. You may have to use a different type. Just to make sure that system works move the camera closer to the monitor and see what happens. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
2x Forest River Owner

The thing is, I hardwired it so range really shouldn't be an issue - unless there's signal degredation over the 75' of cable from the camera to the monitor. VR3 says you can hook up to 100' of the hardwire cable, so I'm not certain why it isn't working!

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
2009 Salem 27RBS Travel Trailer
Formerly camped in a 2007 Flagstaff 228D Pop-Up
naganthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by naganthunter View Post
The thing is, I hardwired it so range really shouldn't be an issue - unless there's signal degredation over the 75' of cable from the camera to the monitor. VR3 says you can hook up to 100' of the hardwire cable, so I'm not certain why it isn't working!

naganthunter, You might want to give them a call, they should have an 800 number in the manual. The other thing is you might want to do is check the cable, see if you have continuity.