Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #1

Have you Heard About Wirerless Backup Cameras

There was a report that just came out about wirerless cameras on vehicles. If you are traveling mainly in a residential area and you have your back up camera on the wirerless cameras are picking up signals from wireless cameras in homes. This is not a good thing. A lady was interviewed and she has a wirerless system in her babies bedroom, she said that she spends alot of time with the baby and she even changes in the same room. The news reporters spoke to the manufactures about the problem and they said that there will be a change in the new systems so this will not happen with the new models.
A word of warning.....BEWARE.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #2

I have a back up camera and a wireless tv transmitter in my home to send signal to a tv without a cable box.

Yes, the back up camera will pic up the signal and I see TV inplace of what is behind me in my own driveway.

This is just an alarmist report by the media IMO. just creating "news"

If I drive by my houes at speed (25) I dont even get a blip on the montor

This all has to do with signal strenght and frequency.

There is a CHANCE you may be on the same fequeny as someone else, and you MIGHT be in range to pick it up.

Anyway, the person with the backup camera would be the peeping tom, and would HAVE to be going slow enough to get the signal for it to appear and stay.

ANYTHING wireless, that is not on an encripted system is subject to eaves dropping. same with cordless phones - early models
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
Site Team

ON my backup monitor I can pick up video from nearby cameras if they're on the same channel AND I have my camera turned off. I've never picked up a baby monitor camera though. Several of my neighbors have baby monitors and I've never picked up any of those. I agree it's just alarmist reporting. Most of what I've seen have been parking lot cameras while passing by. A signal from a camera activates the monitor so it'll kick on at times while traveling when it sees a signal.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #4

The report was on 60 mimuns last Sunday. I forgot the reporters name but he was in a car three houses down from a house where his back-up camera was picking up a video of a baby laying in It's crib and it showed another person moving about in the room.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #5

I remember years ago we had the radio baby monitor in the babys room. One night we hear a baby crying in the middle of the night..... it wasn't ours.... so wierd....was the neighbors grandkid.... they appearently had the same type of radios.......
Wireless is wireless.... its not secure.