Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 10:08 PM   #1

Hazards and Turn Signals Not Working - thoughts?

Drove to a campsite yesterday and everything was working fine. When I left the campsite today, my turn signals were not working. No clicking sound or lights on the dash, and of course my side cameras don't work either as a result. Tried my hazards as well to try and warn the people behind me that I was about to turn, but they also don't work.

I did put some cardboard in front of my pedals yesterday to stop the cat from climbing under the dash, so wonder if I maybe hit & dislodged a wire? Can't seem to find any info about the turn signal wiring for the E450... does anyone know where it is and how I can check if I knocked something?
alexisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
Site Team

What kind of a unit do you have?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
What kind of a unit do you have?
Sunseeker Motorhome. E450 chassis.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked your fuses?
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Have you checked your fuses?
I have not. Where would I find them and are there specific fuses for the flashers?
Old 04-24-2017, 12:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a motorhome but I know in all vehicles there is a fuse somewhere that would control those. I would start with your ford owners manual and I would check in the engine compartment to start. Hopefully a fellow class C owner will be along shortly. What particular model sunseeker do you have? It may help others to answer your questions.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #7

the directional and hazard fuse is # 6, 20 amp. Fuse box is located under the hood driver side front.
Rick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I don't have a motorhome but I know in all vehicles there is a fuse somewhere that would control those. I would start with your ford owners manual and I would check in the engine compartment to start. Hopefully a fellow class C owner will be along shortly. What particular model sunseeker do you have? It may help others to answer your questions.
It's a Sunseeker 2290S. I guess I assumed this was more Ford related than motorhome related, but I know nothing about electrical systems.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick50 View Post
the directional and hazard fuse is # 6, 20 amp. Fuse box is located under the hood driver side front.
Thank you. Someone in one of the Facebook forums said it was down to the left of the break pedal. I guess I'll look in both places to see where it is (although don't know what I'll do when I find it).
Old 04-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #10

Fuses, Flashers, and Connectors

This does sound like a fuse.
But you mention the cardboard and the possibility of dislodging something. So if the fuse is good, you'll need to keep investigating.

If the fuse panel is under the hood, the cardboard scenario would only be a coincidence...unless somehow you caused a short circuit by pushing the cardboard around under the dash. Anything's possible, but that seems unlikely. It's more likely that you disconnected something.

One possibility is the "flasher." Signals blink because of a device called a flasher. You can hear the clicking of the relay, which suggests the flasher is under the dash. (I don't know why the cameras are also dead unless they only work when you activate your turn signal.)

A dislodged flasher or flasher connector could be the culprit. These are typically a relay-like device. Here's what it might look like: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...Fc-1wAodRPUIjw
This may not be the correct flasher if it also activates the side view cameras, but yours would generally look like the illustration.

The mounting lug on the flasher (illustration) suggests it may be mounted to a panel with a screw, and a small wiring harness with a push on connector might connect to it, but the flasher might just plug into a socket up under the dash, and the lug might be missing from the factory flasher (the lugs are removable).

Information like fuse and flasher location is available in your owner's manual. So, when out of range of this forum, it would be a good idea to be familiar with the layout of your owner's manual. Most of it is reference material and does not warrant reading in advance, but things like electrical circuitry, lubricant types, tire pressures, and many more details are typically available in charts and tables at the back of the manual. The manual should be indexed. If you need to change the flasher, I suspect the part number will be in the manual as well as imprinted on the flasher itself.

Another consideration. If you blew a fuse, the next question is why? Fuses typically blow only if there is too much current - usually from a short circuit of some sort or a significantly overloaded circuit. If you haven't customized the turn signal system in some way, it's likely a blown fuse indicates there's a short somewhere. It's pretty rare for a fuse to just give up the ghost and blow out.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #11

There is a fuse panel under the dash right beside the brake pedal , there are wire harness that plug into it, I believe one is from the brake lite switch , all power for the signals feeds through it, you could have dislodged one by putting the cardboard in . Have a look and see if there is one lose.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #12

Well, I'm very confused about what happened when I went to check on the MH tonight. I turn her on, tried the turn signals - nothing. Then checked the headlights - all good, tail lights - all good, mirrors - all good. Then pushed the hazards, hear a click. Push again and they turn on. Then tried the turn signals again and they worked. So, not a fuse but something. I'm a bit concerned that it might happen again when I'm on the road ��

Any thoughts?