Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #1

Hd satellite

Help, I have just bought a 2011 Rockwood 8316ss. How do you get HD Directtv satellite to plug into the plugin by the tv.
GRAYSONH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

You're going to need a dish capable of HD reception, an HD Receiver, from there the connections are pretty simple. Satelite output from the receiver to the input on the TV. This can be HDMI connections or RCA Connections but the quality isn't as good.

to the Forums.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #3

HDMI is not on the plug in board that they told me to use, just three rca plug ins. if i use hdmi to tv how does sound come from 5.1 surround player that is in there.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #4

the surround player should have a srround sound processor/decoder that will do what you are asking. If you hook it all up then you should get the surround.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #5

Not sure everything is wired from the factory? All they told me at the dealership was plug satellite reciever into that plate on wall. Is there any diagrams out there that i can go by.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #6

In the trailer I connect my Direct TV HD receiver directly to a HDMI connector on the television. I don't get sound through the concertone, but then I use a wireless headset. At home one of my televisions is not HD and does not have a HDMI connector so I connect the same HD receiver RCA yellow, red, white from the HD receiver to RCA connectors on the TV. I don't know if you can get HD from RCA connectors. Someone else on this forum may know.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #7

This is what i have, hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZX690gal.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	3482  
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #8

My friend,
HDMI is the best connection for HD (looks similar to a USB computer plug but larger). The video and audio are carried on the one cable (a digital signal). The plate you have a picture of is of composite video (yellow) and analog left and right audio (red and white plugs). This will not give you HD. If your TV does not have an HDMI port then look at the back of the TV, you should see in a row RED BLUE GREEN WHITE RED. On the back of most HD satellite receivers you will also find these connections. The RED BLUE GREEN is called Component Video and the other RED and WHITE PLUG is ANALOG AUDIO (not surround sound). A recommendation is to find a professional to make these connections, trust me, I was one. Secondly, unless you have a tracking dish, self aiming etc, I would stick to standard satellite TV. To receive DirecTV HD, for example, you have to have a 5 LNB dish (3 white thingies on the arm in front of the dish). Aiming this is very difficult in a portable setup such as a tripod. You have to get the mounting pipe EXACTLY vertical/ Level. Then you have to find the correct azimuth, elevation and tilt. If either one is off just a little bit, you will be searching forever. Like I said, I was a professional installer/ technician of custom audio video equipment on mega yachts, homes and did work on many RVs. I was a KVH factory trained technician. Any questions, feel free to ask. I will help how ever I can.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #9

KBROWN, If i use the yellow ,red,white what dish and reciever should i get and will i have a good picture.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAYSONH View Post
KBROWN, If i use the yellow ,red,white what dish and reciever should i get and will i have a good picture.
You'll have a "good" picture. It sure won't be HD, but if your TV is like mine in the TT, it is only about 20", so you don't really notice the difference, IMO.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #11

My TV is 32" HD, I guess if i wire it yellow,white,red then picture would be ok not great and would that send it through the concertone surround sound also-- what dish and reciever do i need to buy.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown1075 View Post
My friend,
HDMI is the best connection for HD (looks similar to a USB computer plug but larger). The video and audio are carried on the one cable (a digital signal). The plate you have a picture of is of composite video (yellow) and analog left and right audio (red and white plugs). This will not give you HD. If your TV does not have an HDMI port then look at the back of the TV, you should see in a row RED BLUE GREEN WHITE RED. On the back of most HD satellite receivers you will also find these connections. The RED BLUE GREEN is called Component Video and the other RED and WHITE PLUG is ANALOG AUDIO (not surround sound). A recommendation is to find a professional to make these connections, trust me, I was one. Secondly, unless you have a tracking dish, self aiming etc, I would stick to standard satellite TV. To receive DirecTV HD, for example, you have to have a 5 LNB dish (3 white thingies on the arm in front of the dish). Aiming this is very difficult in a portable setup such as a tripod. You have to get the mounting pipe EXACTLY vertical/ Level. Then you have to find the correct azimuth, elevation and tilt. If either one is off just a little bit, you will be searching forever. Like I said, I was a professional installer/ technician of custom audio video equipment on mega yachts, homes and did work on many RVs. I was a KVH factory trained technician. Any questions, feel free to ask. I will help how ever I can.
If I have this right. I own a new rockwood windjammer as of Aug. this yr.. My direct TV installer is coming on Sat. to bring us our new reception boxes. We already have had the Windguard Sat. installed for us where we purchased the tt from. So when he comes we will have direct tv but no sound from the concerto if we plug the HD cable from the box to the TV? Or our we supposed to forgo the HD picture and be able to hear sound from the surround sound pkg coming from our concerto? We can't have both? Thanks for your reply.
annamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by annamarie View Post
If I have this right. I own a new rockwood windjammer as of Aug. this yr.. My direct TV installer is coming on Sat. to bring us our new reception boxes. We already have had the Windguard Sat. installed for us where we purchased the tt from. So when he comes we will have direct tv but no sound from the concerto if we plug the HD cable from the box to the TV? Or our we supposed to forgo the HD picture and be able to hear sound from the surround sound pkg coming from our concerto? We can't have both? Thanks for your reply.
PS My TV does have a HDMI for connecting to and it is a 32" TV.
annamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #14

Thats what i have hdmi on tv but i dont wont to give up the concertone surround sound and really dont wont to take tv out to connect hdmi. I'll wait to see what your sat. guys says keep me posted. thank you
Old 09-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #15

i'm looking at ur picture and my eysight isn't good enough to see what u have.
are u asking abt getting audio into that. or r u trying to get surrond sound? does the cornorstone support surrond sound?

i'm going to assume that u already have a HD receiver in place and u r receiving a signal. is this correct?
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #16

DirecTV uses 3 satellites primarily. One is for standard def which is the 101 satellite, the 110 and 119 satellite carry the HD channels plus a few others (don't know which). To use a automated satellite antenna (stabilized antenna) they only receive one satellite at a time. To change from a standard def channel on the 101 satellite to a HD channel on the 119 satellite you have to tell the stabilized antenna to go find the 119 satellite (process depends on manufacturers software. Some are done from a panel and some from a computer). Then to change back, you have to tell it to go to the 101 satellite and it will search and find it. It is usually pretty easy and takes a couple minutes. The stabilized antennas run in the range of $1500 for one you use while parked, $2500 for one that tracks while moving.
If you decide not to do the stabilized antenna, your choices are a tripod mounted antenna (dish) or a portable antenna (dish). To achieve HD you have to have a 5 LNB dish and you have to aim it by adjusting the azimuth (horizon sweep), elevation, and tilt to receive all the satellites at the same time. This is a time consuming and difficult task for a non permanent setup and can be very frustrating. Every thing has to be just right. Aiming at one satellite is MUCH easier as you only have to worry about azimuth and elevation. You still must make sure the base is perfectly level. If not when you swing the antenna left and right your elevation will also change. If you throw in the tilt factor, that increases the chance for error 3 times. I would recommend standard def if you are not using a stabilized antenna. I only use standard def and it can sometimes take me a while to find one satellite with my portable dish. I hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #17

the price of those antennas have come down quiet a bit. i have one and it was ~800.
does the video signal contain the info for surrond sound? if he doesn't have hdmi or the optic output, i'm trying to figure out how to get it. seems like on my home unit i used the component output from the sat rec.

i would look in the surrond sound manuel but they apparently are in a very safe place....
Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #18

Component video is just that, video. The audio can come from the RED and WHITE RCA plugs giving you analog audio in stereo, not surround sound. Or you can use a fiber optic cable or coaxial (orange RCA plug) for digital audio. Digital audio will give you surround sound. Something just came into my head, we keep talking "surround sound". Lets make sure we are all on the same page. My dealer told me that the Concertone in our TT was "Surround Sound", it isn't. Our TT has front and rear stereo. In the living room there are 4 speakers in the ceiling, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. I could see this immediately and knew he was miss using "surround sound". I would get this question all the time, Surround Sound starts with a center channel speaker (90% of the sound comes from) and 4 Effect speakers (usually in the ceiling or wall around the room). As something moves across the screen from front to back/ left to right, the sound comes through the effect speakers to make this happen. Then we can ad sub woofers, side speakers, etc.. all depends on how much you want to spend. The audio/video receiver (the Concertone in my example) must have surround modes, for example Dolby Digital. If you look at the rear of your device, or the manual, and see front right, front left, rear right, rear left then most likely it is stereo. If the speaker connections say Center, front right, front left, surround right, surround left, then you probably have true surround sound. The center channel/speaker is the key. I just want to ensure we are talking apples and apples.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #19

i can't read what his inputs are but given the color codes, it appears to be standard audio vidio output. one of them would be blue on component video (blue, green, and red?).

i still haven found that "safe place" where my manuels are that show the different connections. one that it does have is a pass thru where u connect the audio and video from the sat rec to the surrond sound and take the output video and pass it back to the tv. that's what made me wonder if the digital was riding along on the video signal and the surrond sound receiver stripped it off. seems like my origional connection from the sat receiver was component pluss audio. component carries the info for HD tv.

by the way, they write books abt what i don't know abt suround sound...they are called manuels.

u have someone coming sat, i'd like to know how they hook it up.
i was mainly questioning if conorston had a surround sound decoder in it. in my old system (2002) it doesn't appear that it does. looks like mine just gives a selection of areas u want the audio to go to.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #20

ROCKWOOD 8316SS
32" TV HAS HDMI 1080 and Component
Concertone has 5.1 surround sound
Connection on TT plate has composite red,yellow ,white
I do not have a dish or a reciever yet im wanting to get hd with surround sound
does that help any or do you need more info

Tags
satellite