Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #1

Heat -

The funace runs off the LP tank. I'm thinking that if we are hooked up to shore power than an auxillary heater would be a good idea. It wouldn't use up the gas. So where to plug it in? Would you use any of the unit's outlets or would you run an extension cord directly from the power post and if so how would you route the cord into the RV (and not let mosquitoes in at the same time).

I was thinking along the lines of one of those ceramic heaters - set in the middle of the floor where no one would fall over it and there would be no bedding with which it could come in contact.

Last weekend someone with a trailer a a neighboring campsite had one of those gas heaters that sort of looks like a post and umbrella to keep their picnic table area warm. We were truly amazed at how much stuff they unloaded from that trailer, but it did get me to thinking about additional heat.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #2

We use a small Holmes electric heater bought from WalMart. In the winter, we place it on the dinette table to heat the kitchen and living area. This small heater make the area comfortable. We like to sleep covered with a blanket up to our neck, so no heater in the bedroom.

If I'm not mistaken, I think we paid $12 for it.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #3

We too have a small electric space heater that we carry in the winter. Our electric fireplace can keep the living room fairly warm but we use the other one in the back near the bedroom. Just plug it into any of the standard outlets.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I use 2 heaters similar to the one that milzat. I only do this when its not too cold or else they never shut off and don't do much but take the chill off. I've used the furnace to get to temperature then sitched to the heaters and they did ok. One thing is if you use 2 heaters be sure thay are not on the same circuit and on 1500 watts or the breaker will trip. Remember the TV is included as well as the Home Threatre.You can however turn some brand of heater down to 900 watts and 2 will be fine providing the breaker is a 20 amp for the receptacles. In the Georgetown panel there is a 20 amp breaker for receptacles ( bedroom and near dinette) the other receptacle breaker is the GFIC which controls bathroom, kitchen and outdoor circuits.

We bought an electric blanket last year when Walmart had them on clearance for $20. We can be as warm as we want at night.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
Site Team

most of us trailer owners have something like a ceramic heater or two for when we have hookups.

quite common.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #6

We have a small heater as well - it doesn't get as cold here in Arkansas as it does up North, and there are days where all we need is that and it works quite well.
CubFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #7

We use a small ceramic heater just to take the chill off when it's not to cold. We just plug it in to one of our ground faulted plugs in the kitchen or bathroom area. Never outside as it would let the bugs in at the cord if it's not to cold for bugs. Besides, some park owners frown on the use of additional electric use for heating. We don't use one in the bedroom as that is what they invented cuddling for. Old Guys

P.S. Our dog likes to sleep on our bed and contributes his share of body heat as well.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

2Susan, I picked a small heater @ the WallyMart in Huntsville Ontario a few years ago. I was camping in my popup in Algonquin Park on the May 2-4 weekend & the weather wasn't that great. The heater made a big difference in the overnight hours.

I tried it 1 night in my new trailer & it heated the trailer fine (8' to a 21').

I'm not up north, so I can't give you any details about the heater.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
Cyber Phrenologist

If you use an electric heater of any size and then use the microwave, hairdryer or coffeemaker then you will likely pop a breaker (in the power converter panel, not the park pedestal)

If you have a slide out, you can run a heavy extension cord through the slide seal (when the slide is about 1/2 way out) and plug that into the 20 amp outlet on the pedestal. I have found the heater runs more efficiently this way and no more popped breakers.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #10

Since buying the Roo we have not had to have any heat at all. Only running AC. But since we do have the hybrid, and coming from having the PUP I'll do in this like I did in the other. I can run an orange cord from outside post direct to tower heater. But then with this we have heated beds...... can't wait to see how that works out. I've yet to even try them out to see if they work! The heater we have is large enough that it should heat the main living area fairly well. Unless it is freezing cold outside. IN that case I sorta doubt that I'll be camping in that cold of weather. I can handle cooler, I can take the heat, but camping when I'd freeze my behind off if I stepped outside, just does not thrill me.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbait8 View Post
Since buying the Roo we

Yikes that font is very bold!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote