Old 05-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #1

Smile Hello Forest River (Flooded trailer)

Hi, we have a surveyor sv-27t. I'm joining here to learn more about how to use it and take care of it properly.

We've owned it for 2 years with some trial and error, mostly with our septic system. We were just about ready to open it up this year after a 6 month winter, when a huge flood happened.

Our trailer was hit pretty hard, knocked off it's blocks and floated onto a stump. Bent the front axle and mangled the fresh water tank, otherwise outside was fine. Inside the shower filled up and overflowed as well as the sinks, water filled up just above the top of the couch and stayed like that for 2 full days.

When we were finally able to get inside our park, the trailer had sat for 6 days. We removed all the bed linings, couch covers, curtains and opened the sides and windows.

As a beginner to using a trailer, what else will I need to open or remove to make sure there is no mould and that it will dry up properly and function safely again. everything important except the air conditioner was underwater.

Thank you

Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #2

Dang something like that I would almost think would be a total loss. I hope some one will come and tell you have to make it right. That is really to bad. I am sorry to hear. good luck.

2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #3

Thank you, were in high spirits though. Im mostly curious about the water heater, it was off but water filled up the inside im sure.

my batteries were still fully charged too, the power was on in the park throughout the winter and I left it plugged in to keep the fridge going and batteries charged. When I got there the fridge was working fine and all my lights and everything else is working too. No water is on at the moment and with the bent axle and broken water tank, its not going to be going anywhere for a few weeks at least.

thank you
Old 05-09-2013, 03:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome!

That's really tough and I'm sorry to hear that happened. Lots of reports of flooded parks and campgrounds.

First thing - do you have insurance that might cover it? Seems obvious because I'm sure you would have checked with the ins co but thought I would ask. Like wyo700, I would have thought it'd be totaled if water covered everything except the AC for 2 full days. Was it really covered? I would have expected the water to effect the various electrical systems but those appear to fine. Not that you need more issues to deal with.

As for the water heater and anything in the water system, I think you have to assume its been compromised and needs to be disinfected. This would be similar to what you have to do when dewinterizing. You would typically fill your fresh water tank with 1/4 cup bleach for every 15 gallons of water, run it through the system including the water heater, let it sit for half a day, dump, and flush with fresh water. I'm not sure how you do this if the FW tank is wrecked.

You asked what else needs to be removed so that mold doesn't appear. I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the thing is I'm not sure this is possible if it was actually submerged.

Walls and floors in a travel trailer are not made to be waterproof and the material used to make the structure might now be soaked through (I imagine).

I am unfamiliar with your model, but today's Surveyor trailers use fiberglass over aluminum framing and attached to the cross members is something like luan and then filled with insulation. If the luan and insulation are wet, then I am not certain it can be dried out enough to avoid delamination and mold. You could try running dehumidifiers for awhile and see if that helps.

I'm really hoping this can be taken care of through insurance.

If not, maybe some of the other members here have other ideas on how to make this right for you.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #5

I doubt that a seasonal trailer in a flood zone would be covered. I would think the inverter should be Looked at also. If a older unit the Batt insulation should be removed. Youroo!!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I doubt that a seasonal trailer in a flood zone would be covered.
Good point. Not sure how ins works in these cases.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #7

I"m currently working floor replacement on my 2004 SV261T (see thread in Expandable-Surveyor section). I can tell you that if moisture made it underneath the vinyl flooring, it is there to stay. It will not evaporate up thru the flooring, and it will not escape down thru the moiture barrier/tarp.

We bought our camper used, with carpeting over the entire original flooring, and a small soft spot in the hallway. Should have walked away then. There was signs of repair on the wall, but no signs of recent water damage. Fast forward 2 years, and there has been no new moisture in the walls. But the soft spot has grown.

We pulled up the carpet and removed all of the lino. Every bit of the flooring was dark with moisture, as it had no way to escape. Since we can't show a leak issue, it's not an insurance claiim. Since we can't afford to just let this go, I'm repairing myself.

My advice to you is to do everything you can to make this an insurance claim. And in a known flood, you should have no problem getting it covered. The longer you go before submitting a claim, the more they will question why you waited.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
My advice to you is to do everything you can to make this an insurance claim. And in a known flood, you should have no problem getting it covered. The longer you go before submitting a claim, the more they will question why you waited.
What he said, the last thing you want is a flood damaged trailer if you can at all help it. Things will not go well down the road in a few years.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote