Old 07-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #11

paper towels, just leave a sheet in there and fridge when not in use. also works great in coolers. sounds too simple but it does work

Old 07-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #12

I suggested the coffee only because of experience with it and the time to do the smell removal is quicker than any other i have tried including the baking soda. Even now after our freezer had shut down because of a power failer a few years ago which left the freezer off until the breaker was reset, no smell residue now.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #13

Wow, guys, thanks a bunch!! I will have to try these. We are going to use the camper this weekend and the fridge/freezer is actually turned on right now. I don't plan on opening it anytime this weekend though!!! When we get back, I am going to try some these suggestions. There is still baking soda in there, but it still needs time.

I am thinking that leaving the freezer closed with some sort of absorbant will do better than open?

I could barely get that stuff the trash without "losing it" much less eat it!!!

I am, at this point, thinking a lighter may help out....hopefully we can get a better resolution though in time.

By the way, does anyone know if that bottom piece of metal that is riveted in is removeable? I checked the owner's manual, but it says nothing about that.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #14

Not sure without look at pics or mine, but are they REAL rivets or just those plastic snapins. Maybe you can put a screw driver and see if they pop out?

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #15

They are not plastic, and they don't appear to "snap". I tried to pry that bottom piece up, but it just wasn't happening without breaking something, so I quit.

That is probably the only way, but just thought I would check.
- See 'ya on the road! Typically on 146.520 for the other traveling hams!
farrelltravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #16

try a cereal bowl filled approx. 1/3 full of vanilla extract. if that does not work, then there is juice still present somewhere.....the vanilla has worked countless times for me over the years....trust me...it is great stuff.
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Jakearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrelltravis View Post
They are not plastic, and they don't appear to "snap". I tried to pry that bottom piece up, but it just wasn't happening without breaking something, so I quit.

That is probably the only way, but just thought I would check.
If u need to get to the other side of the plastic, disconnect the gas,remove the screws from around the face flange and pull the frig out abt 6 inches. U will then see the exposed insulation and how the frig is made. Then decide if u want to start prying rivits.

Just the odor migrating behind the wall will take awhile to get out.
It will take time to leave.
I picked up a frig that set 2 weeks before it could b mtyed. It was cleaned with clorox, thden soda. Coffee was put in it and 2 months there was still a smell. I heard abt the charcoal, tfied it. Abt 2 mos later, it was not detectable. What actually workef? I dont know believe it was time and something that kept absorbing the odor.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #18

Activated charcoal - the stuff you would use in fish tank filters works well. You can get it anywhere they sell fish supplies. Pour it in bowls and leave around - it absorbs the odors. The same concept as baking soda.
Manassas, VA
2011 camping days booked - 18 and counting
allards5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #19

Thanks again for all of the comments. Maybe I could just put all of the items everyone suggested in there at the same time.... =) Just kidding.

Well, we were camping this weekend. The freezer smells really bad once it is closed. The fridge seems fine now. An odor can still be detected in the trailer now when you enter. Will be getting things in the freezer to collect that odor!!!

Thanks again!
- See 'ya on the road! Typically on 146.520 for the other traveling hams!
farrelltravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #20

What we have found is take a glass bowl not plastic. Put white vinegar in it. Let it sit in the freezer for a couple of days. Then make a wet paste out of baking soda and white vinegar. Scrub the freezer and or refrigerator down then rinse with cold water. This has never failed me yet. And yes we have lost power and so lost meat in our big freezer at home. Good Luck......