Old 07-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Help with getting bad smell out of freezer

Hi, there all!! I hope that this is the best place for this.

After the 4th of July weekend, we forgot about some (5 pounds!!!) pork ribs that were in the freezer. When we got home, as usual, I turned off the fridge/freezer. Well, I forgot about the ribs in the freezer for about 2 weeks!! They had just been sitting in that freezer with the door closed in this +100 degree heat for all of this time. Inside the trailer gets over 120 degrees!!! It smelled HORRIBLE!!!!!!!

Once I discoverd I forgot about them, my wife and I got them out. They had created about an inch of standing "juice" that had gathered underneath them just sitting at the bottom of the freezer. After we got all of the ribs and "juice" out, we poured about a half gallon of bleach in the bottom of the freezer and let that sit for about a day and a half. The smell has gotten 1,000 times better!! However, there is still a smell in the freezer. We have scrubbed and scrubbed and put baking soda in there. The smell is even better, but it is still there. With the door open (while not turned on) the freezer is okay with the smell. However, if the door is closed, the smell seems to "build up" and then is just terrible.

I believe that some of that "juice" has soaked down below in what appears to be a thin sheet of metal at the bottom of the freezer. It looks as if it is not removable without breaking it because it looks riveted. I think if we could get that off and clean underneath that sheet, it would really help.

Any ideas on how to get it out?????

BTW: we have a 2011 Rockwood 8285WS

Thanks in advance!!

farrelltravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
What always works for me is ground coffee, put about 2 to 3 cups of coffee in open containers in the fridge and shut it for a few days, smell is going. Also put a few plates of coffee around the unit and the smell will go as well. Best to do this while still hot as all the pores of the material in the unit will still be open and let the smell out.

waynec78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #3

farrelltravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Baking soda--lots of it.

Get a couple of large boxes of baking soda, place on a any glass dish (lots of it) inside the freezer for a week or so. the baking soda will absorb the

About five years ago, some vandals turned off our weekend lake home power from the outside power panel. We had ribs, steaks, fish, ice cream, bacon, chicken in the freezer side, not to mention what was in the fridge side. It was so bad, juices had ran out the door gasket onto the floor, all over the kitchen. After cleaning with much elbow grease, was about to throw out the fridge. the insurance paid us for the loss and a new fridge.
Within three days at a neighbors suggestions to use baking soda to get rid of the smell. Well, that was five years ago and we are still using the same fridge and freezer. The baking soda works, I can assure you.
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member
I've also heard of wiping everything with white vinegar. I haven't tried this personally but I do remember my parents using it on those old vinyl sofa covers. I've used baking soda with good results though.

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
We have found this product good at getting out bad smells... Just a get a bottle of that and spray it everywhere and let it run into the cracks.

OdoBan - Odor Eliminator - Home

Air Freshener, Laundry, Fabric, Kitchens, Bathrooms... Eliminates Odors... Kills 99.99% of germs...
2005 Ford Excursion V10 4x4 4.30's
2011 Salem 26TBUD
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
So did they taste good!! Ribs need to be cooked slow and low That seems slow and low heat to me hahahah.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
after hurricane rita, i put some charcoal bricketts in some panty hose and put them in there. it is a slow process but the smell will disappear.

there isn't a lot to one of those refrigerators; just a steal frame and the plastic inside that u see. the outside is other external case.

if i weren't going to try and use for a couple of weeks, i would leave the doors open and just let it air out for a week. then i would put the charcoal in it.
i've heard of using coffee grounds, Clorox, vanilla (not at the same time). the charcoal worked best for me.
it isn't going to leave over night but it will go completely.
oh, u want plain charcoal. don't get any that has the lighter fluid in it.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
So did they taste good!! Ribs need to be cooked slow and low That seems slow and low heat to me hahahah.
they are especially good after they have marinated awhile in the frig....these may have marinated a bit too long.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Charcoal might work...

...Of course if you still can't get the smell out you might consider the charcoal WITH lighter fluid...and a match! Just kidding. (you might want to take the fridge out of your unit before using this option!)

My nephew left a bluegill in my favorite boat cooler out in the sun for 5 days once and I ended up throwing it away after many attempts to de-oderize it. It did smell ok right after a good cleaning but as soon as I closed the lid and tried to use it the smell came right back. Sorry I can't offer any more helpful advice.

Daren, Sharon and Tinkerbelle the Wonderdog
2011 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2304
Campski65 is offline   Reply With Quote