Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
rsl

Holding tank Indicator wiring

Does anyone know what kind of system Forest River uses for fresh, black , gray water level monitoring? I am thinking about purchasing and installing a SeaLevel 2 digital tank monitor. I popped off the cover to the current stock indicator and there are only like 5 wires total going to the thing (4 for each liquid tank, a ground and couple for the battery voltage). I was expecting to see like 15. I inspected the fresh water tank (easiest one to see the whole tank) there are 5 wires attached to the side of each tank and they run to a red puck shaped thing and it looks like the two wires attached to the lowest points on the tank run into the wireloom into the coach. HELP!!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #2

I don't know exactly, but I think one wire is ground, and one is power. The rest go to the level sensor if you want to call the screws in the side a sensor. The red thing is a resistor, I think. I had to replace them on my old trailer due to mice chewing them.

I need to replace one on my current trailer model 4022B, but in order to get to the screws I would need to drop the tank, and I don't really want to do that.

Kev
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Here are photos of the tank sensors.
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/240...V?vhost=travel

While this is the galley tank. ALL 3 tanks are wired the same. Note. The left wire is "ground" the right 3 are 1/4, 1/2, and Full. The Empty light is always "hot" and never goes out. As you can see the 1/4 light will be lit as soon as the tank is not "empty". It takes a while for the 1/2 light, then about the same usage for the Full. Note the placement of "Full." The tank is NOT actually full at this point.

In our 30 Gallon tanks there is about 9 gallons of space left in the tank when that light comes on.

Our dealer offered to add another sensor at the very top of the tank and move the 3 wires "up one." I may very well do that next time the pan is down.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #4

I too have been looking into the SeaLevel monitors. Our old rig had one more sensor than the GT does so was a "little" more accurate but they are all kinda crummy. Let us know how it goes if you do get one, I would love to hear somones actual experience with the system and it's installation.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #5

I had installed the SeeLevel on my popup since it did not have any gauges whatsoever for the tanks. It worked very well and was extremely accurate for the few months I had it. From what i remember it would register between 5-10% increments but my tanks were small and the sensors were cut down. The hardest part of the install is just getting the wires from the tank to where you want the monitor. If you use the existing tank sensor wires you could avoid that pain.

I plan on installing one in my Georgetown once my factory sensors start getting useless. Otherwise I haven't had a need for them to be more accurate. My only problem is my fresh tank is an odd L shape so a SeeLevel sensor wouldn't be entirely accurate.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

This Just In - from KIB Electronics

In response to your inquiry, I have attached a file of the M21 wiring diagram, and suggest you make the following tests to determine the source of the incorrect tank readings.

First, remove the monitor panel insert to gain access to the monitor circuit board. There will be a red header connector plugged into the circuit board with 5 wires; we will be interested in the brown wire. Follow the brown wire to where it connects to the coach wiring harness, and disconnect it at this point. Check the monitor panel black tank level, it should read empty.
If the display is something other than empty, the circuit board is defective. If the black tank reads empty, reconnect the brown wire to the wiring harness, and move to the black tank.

With the black tank empty, disconnect the resistor network yellow, green, and orange wires from the level probes, and isolate them from one another. Check the monitor panel black tank display, it should read empty. If the reading is other than empty, there is a leakage path in the coach wiring harness between the monitor panel brown wire connection and the resistor network red wire connection to the coach harness.

If the black tank reads empty, ground the yellow wire to the white ground wire connection on the tank, the black tank level should read 1/3. Next, remove the yellow wire from the ground probe and connect the green wire to ground. The monitor panel should now read 2/3. Next, remove the green wire from the ground probe, and ground the orange wire. The monitor panel should now read full. If the above responses are correct, the monitor panel circuit board, coach wiring harness, and resistor network are functioning as designed, and the problem is a residue buildup inside the black tank. The remedy is to replace all the tank probes with new.

Please contact me with any questions.

Sincerely,

Terry Garl
Service and Warranty
KIB Electronics
(574) 262-0518

Attached Files
File Type: pdf M21 WD.pdf (70.0 KB, 3926 views)
Old 08-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #7

It's most likely a KIB Micro Monitor.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
It's most likely a KIB Micro Monitor.

Yes,

That is the model in my 5th wheel. I emailed them about my tank reading 2/3 full when empty. Their web site troubleshooting page was down and their tech support sent the troubleshooting instructions and the wiring diagram for my KIB Micro Monitor.

There are similar wiring diagrams for all their monitors on their web page.