Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #1

Holding tanks lower capacity than stated

I purchased a 2012 Palomino Puma 30DBSS in October of last year. According to all literature at the time and current lit, black and grey tanks are supposed to be 42 gallons each. This was a major consideration as our last camper had 25 gallon tanks and the grey filled up much too quickly. We've been on a few trips now and our grey tank seemed to fill up just as fast, and when reading full it could be held in a 25 gallon tote. My hope was that the indicator was not reading correctly and there was considerable capacity left when reading full. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Yesterday, using a 5 gallon bucket and with tank empty- after bucket number 6 (30 gallons) there was several gallons standing in the tub, indicating most likely a 25 gallon tank. Trailer is level. In my opinion, if specifications are changed and different size tanks are used, a purchaser should be made aware of that. It's one thing to be ABLE to make changes and deviate from published literature, but it's another to withhold that information from a customer. I have contacted my dealer about this issue- but what do you do? It would be a nightmare to change it out I would think- yet we are missing 17 gallons of capacity that influenced my decision heavily. It's not like confirming tank capacity is something that can be done during inspection before buying- you pretty much have to assume the published specs are correct or hope that a manufacturer/dealer are honest enough to inform you that the specs are not correct. Hopefully a reasonable response is forthcoming. Any advice or opinions?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #2

Contact Palomino Pal - Jevin 800 297 5830

He's been extremely helpful with questions that I have had on my unit and I believe he's a "member" of this forum.

His name is Jevin- has worked the line, parts and service department for Palomino for a couple decades so would assume he would have good insight.
2010 Ford F-150 Super Crew
Equalizer Hitch
pmahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #3

Thanks for

the information. I will likely wait on a response and then proceed that route if necessary.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #4

I just ran into something similar but got lucky and figured it out before I bought. I was on the Forest River website looking at specs for the trailer I was looking at. It turns out their site had the 2013 model specs but the one on the lot was a 2012. BUT, it didn't specify that anywhere. I was extremely disappointed that the manufactuer would be so careless and not communicate better.

For me it was the different between a 78 gallon gray tank and 40. Quite a difference. Also, the 2012 came with 3500 axles with a CCC of a crummy 1100lbs (before water). The 2013s have 5000lb axles and a CCC of about 4500lbs.

I really would expect a manufactuer to be more clear.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #5

Here is my thread I started on this very same topic of "Misinformation by Forest River". Definatley not cool getting stiffed on tank capacities.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-19610.html
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote