Old 05-26-2019, 04:53 PM   #1

Hole in my wall

Hole in the WALL; I'm not talking about a place but rather in my trailer wall. I was mounting a TV in my 3 week old TT bedroom that is set up with a backer for a wall mount. The lag nuts that came with the wall mount system were way too long by a half of an inch so I ran down to True Value and got shorter ones. I have no idea what I was thinking but I picked up the long lags that were nearby and I drilled it in the wall and it came out the outside. I am so disappointed in myself for not catching this before it happened but know mistakes happen and now it's time to deal with it Has anyone had any experience with dealing with a hole in fiberglass like this? My concern is that it could crack and spread. Not sure if this would happen but I am concerned about it. Is there something that I can get so fill the hole and prevent any more damage?

Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #2

I had one on an older travel trailer that I filled with bondo and put a sticker over.

It held up fine for many years.

Bob

Old 05-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #3

Maybe a dab of clear Proflex caulk over the holes and fuggedaboutit. Nobody will notice except for you. A sticker of some sort might be the easiest and look like the factory put it there.

Last fall I accidentally punched a small hole through our fancy black fiberglass canopy on the truck. I was sick to the stomach. Then, in a moment of quick thinking before DW found out, I cut a small round circle out of RV scrim tape and patched it. Can't really see it and I'm the only one who knows...
Old 05-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #4

I've not done it but one solution that I thought was super clever was to use the hole for something. Depending on where the hole is, maybe you can use it to put something there. An antenna connection since you will have a TV right there? Maybe a cable/Sat in? Basically the post I saw bought the plates/covers he needed for inside and outside and made lemonade out of lemons, installing whatever it was that he decided (can't remember specifically, might have been an outlet).
Old 05-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #5

An automobile body shop that repairs fiberglass panels could make a perfect (i.e., undetectable) repair.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
An automobile body shop that repairs fiberglass panels could make a perfect (i.e., undetectable) repair.

Larry

That would be my first choice. How big is area where the holes are? Picture would be nice. You could put a vent for washer/dryer there but of course no hole just the vent
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
Hole in the WALL; I'm not talking about a place but rather in my trailer wall. I was mounting a TV in my 3 week old TT bedroom that is set up with a backer for a wall mount. The lag nuts that came with the wall mount system were way too long by a half of an inch so I ran down to True Value and got shorter ones. I have no idea what I was thinking but I picked up the long lags that were nearby and I drilled it in the wall and it came out the outside. I am so disappointed in myself for not catching this before it happened but know mistakes happen and now it's time to deal with it Has anyone had any experience with dealing with a hole in fiberglass like this? My concern is that it could crack and spread. Not sure if this would happen but I am concerned about it. Is there something that I can get so fill the hole and prevent any more damage?
Become a member of iRV2 , which is affiliated with this site, and put their sticker overtop of the patched hole.
JGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:27 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses. I ended up calking it with some clear silicone and then putting a small US Army Retired sticker over it. No one will ever no there is an issue except for all of us, so keep it a secret, please.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #9

Never heard anything. Never saw anything. Don’t know what your talking about.
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I ended up calking it with some clear silicone and then putting a small US Army Retired sticker over it. No one will ever no there is an issue except for all of us, so keep it a secret, please.

That beats my suggestion of putting a bottle opener over it. :-)

Thank you for your service.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:03 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

Quote:
For a price my lips are sealed.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:43 PM   #12

Airborne, any you were stationed at Bragg

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote