Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #1

Hot water

We have a 2019 puma after it was winterized we can’t get our hot water to work on electric. This is a brand new camper. What is the process for when we get to the camper after we hook up water supply in order to get hot water?
Beachgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
Site Team

See if these two threads can help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #3

normally when an rv is winterized the hot water tank is drained and the bypass valve is set to bypass the tank. even if you hook up to a water supply source you will not get water into the heater tank unless you turn the valves so the tank is not bypassed. if you turn on the electric heater element with an empty tank you will burn out the element.

before you turned the electric element on, did you set the bypass valves to allow water into the tank, and did you ensure that the tank was filled?

if you did not and you turned on the electric heater element you have burnt it out. not a big deal as they are readily available ($15 or so) and easy to replace.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #4

..and, the reason that the water heater is 'bypassed' during winterization is because there's no need to pump the pink stuff into a tank, since it is already 'drained' and no water is left in it.

...if you forget to 'unbypass' the valve, you'll have no water going into the water heater tank, and therefore, no heated water, and also therefore, probably a burnt out heating element if you've left the unit Electric switch on while on shore power.

-turn the Electric switch off
-turn the water valve for the Water Heater from 'Bypass' to 'Normal/use'
-attach and turn on the spigot water
-allow the water to have time to fill the tank
-turn on either the propane, or the Electric switch, to heat the water, or both at the same time, if your unit allows, to heat the water much quicker. The heating element will go off when the water is up to temperature, and won't come on again until needed. The propane heats the water quickly, and will also be available if the temp falls far enough for it to come back on, too.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Grammar Pedant

I take an ultra-conservative approach. I leave electric off at both places (the switch outside at my water heater and inside panel). I start my propane water heater. After just a few minutes, I can feel luke warm water. That proves to my satisfaction that nothing went haywire and I definitely have water in my hot water tank. At this point, off goes the propane and on comes the electric.

Doing this minimizes my chance to accidentally turn on my electric water heater with an empty tank ... which burns out the heating element in a matter of seconds (from what I read).

So, my recommendation, particularly after de-winterizing, is to use propane to ensure that that you have proper flow of water through the hot water tank and lines. After that "proof of concept," go with electric (if available).

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #6

Step one is to make sure you have water in the tank and that it is not bypassed or you will burn your water heater up running it with no water.

Step two would be to turn on the power. either on the wall in the camper or on the heater itself, some units may have a switch in both places.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, water