Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #1

How are the walls constructed?

I realize this is a huge question but I am trying to understand my wall and how/what the walls are constructed. Are they aluminum framed? wood framed, blown insulation? any horizontal cross beams? conduit? stud spacing? etc.

This is just for future knowledge and trying to understand where I could find specific information for my TT (2011 Puma 26RLSS). I don't see any thing specific on the web.

Ed

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

If my memory is correct there is five layers in the vacuum laminated walls. It's the finished inside wall, aluminum structure, Styrofoam, foil layer, and the fiberglass outside wall vacuum laminated.

Vacuum Lamination
ComposiTekfive composites are vacuum laminated onto a structural frame of double-welded aluminum. This vacuum-lamination process creates one-piece, seamless, rigid walls, floors and roof for less flex and sway down the road. ComposiTek construction results in a stronger, stiffer trailer with the durability and weight distribution only found in monocoque aeronautical engineering.

In the vacuum bonding process the entire structure is placed in a giant vacuum bag and pressurized to approximately 129 pounds per square inch. The wall remains in the bag, under pressure, for 20 to 40 minutes to allow the resins and adhesives to become one piece. This process uses more advanced technology that is significantly more expensive than conventional pinch rolling, but the result is the finest construction available in the RV industry today.

Lesser manufacturers claim “laminated” or “bonded” construction, but unless it is “vacuum bonded” it is probably “pinch-rolled laminated”—an inferior process where the wall goes through two large rollers squeezing the glue as it “pinches” the pieces together. The vacuum process allows for even pressure at a high pounds per square inch rate over a much longer period of time for a superior bonded seal.

elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

The OP's Puma is an aluminium sided trailer, so it would not be vacuum bonded. It will more then likely be wood stud construction with bat insulation, you will have some cross braces where things are attached to the walls. Should be able to use a stud finder to locate the studs. Roof will be a truss system probably wood but could be aluminum.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #4

So it should be possible to run wiring through the walls vertically?

Bianchina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #5

If it is bat insulation you should be able to, you just need to make sure you don't push the batting up or down when you run the wire. My trailer is vacuum bonded so i have only run wires in the interior walls.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote