Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #1

How do I connect a Direct TV dish

I was given a HD Direct TV Slim Line oval dish with 3 LNBís at the end of the arm. The LNB has a sticker with KA-KU LNB. There are 3 LNB at the end of the arm, 2 are circular and 1 is oval and there are 4 places to attach a coaxial cable. I have a regular, non HD, Direct TV box. What I am asking is which one do I attach my coaxial cable to receive non HD channels?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #2

It dose not matter which cable you use, that is the old style allowing for multiple receivers, four in your case. the hard part is lining up the dish to the satellite as you travel from place to place, use this to get the settings; Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com , best to get before you go, also an in-line meter will help, otherwise you need to run in and out to fine tune the signal. Step by step instructions and help as well as parts you may need can be found here; InstallerOasis.com . FYI the cabling on most campers that only have one hookup is cable TV and will not work for satellite without modifications to the terminations in the camper, if you run a temporary cable get one of these to pass through a window, 3 GHz RG6 Flat Coaxial Cable for Satellite and Cable TV*::*Adapters*::*InstallerOasis.com, a flat cable, do not exceed 50 feet total cable from the dish to the receiver, shorter is better.

Update: i miss spoke not a in-line meter, a signal finder (http://installeroasis.com/sf-95-sate...lay-pr-46.html )

Old 03-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff14 View Post
I was given a HD Direct TV Slim Line oval dish with 3 LNB’s at the end of the arm. The LNB has a sticker with KA-KU LNB. There are 3 LNB at the end of the arm, 2 are circular and 1 is oval and there are 4 places to attach a coaxial cable. I have a regular, non HD, Direct TV box. What I am asking is which one do I attach my coaxial cable to receive non HD channels?
I'm pretty sure what you have is actually a 5 LNB Slim Line. If you look closely into the oval "head", you will see 3 "receiver eyes" for the 99, 101 & 103 satellites. The other 2 "heads" are for the 110 and the 119 satellite. The previous post is correct, it doesn't matter which cable hook up you use. Setting up a HD dish has to be very precise to find all 5 sats. It will become easier each time you set up but, you won't have to worry too much about that until you upgrade. If you have more than one television in the RV then you need 2 separate cables and 2 sat. boxes. If you ever upgrade to a HD box & TV, you'll be all set!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Sat dish hook up !

The key to setting up your dish, the post the dish is attached to MUST BE PERFECTLY VERTICLE. Sure will make it easier to find the signal from the satellites.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
The key to setting up your dish, the post the dish is attached to MUST BE PERFECTLY VERTICLE. Sure will make it easier to find the signal from the satellites.

That's your starting point.......and a clear view of the southern sky. Compass, squeeler/squawk box and the coordinants for the Elevation, Asimuth and Tilt of the HD dish for the area your in (you can get this from your Sat. box by entering the zip code you're in) will give your best starting point, then just fine tune from there.
I've gradually cut my setup time down from 2 days (according to my wife) to 1 hour or less
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #6

"I've gradually cut my setup time down from 2 days (according to my wife) to 1 hour or less"

Now that is funny!

I usually just align the 101 (transponder 1) and let the chips fall on the rest. I never have a problem receiving HD programming, including my locals if I am in the spot beam. I don't have time to dither and peak when I am camping, so that's what works for me. I use a surveyor's tripod with a slimline 3 dish. Rock solid performance.