Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #1

How do you chock and level your trailer? Got pics?

Interested in seeing pictures of what you all are doing as far as chocking tires and leveling your camper. I'd love to see pictures. Thanks...
scottbridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #2

Wasn't satisfied with plastic chocks, experimenting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-01 094551 .jpg
Views:	441
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	152114  
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #3

interesting...thanks for sharing
Old 09-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
Always Learning

I like the TriLynx Wheel Chocks. They snap into the LynxLevelers that we use for leveling. Unfortunately, I can only use one of them as the tire spacing seems to make it impossible to use 2 of them. For the other end on that side and the other side, I use heavy rubber wheel shocks.

As mentioned, leveling is done with the orange LynxLevelers.

Name:	IMG_1651.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	152116
Old 09-21-2017, 08:28 PM   #5

thanks for the picture...
Old 09-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
Always Learning

Also, not sure if this link will help:

http://learntorv.com/rv-leveling-is-...uick-and-easy/
Old 09-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbridget View Post
Interested in seeing pictures of what you all are doing as far as chocking tires and leveling your camper. I'd love to see pictures. Thanks...
Don't have any pictures, but leveling and chocking techniques is often the prerogative of the individual. Not all CG's are the same. I have seen just about every method used. You have:

The Accessory Guy: He has every gadget that Camping World sells to level and chock an RV.

The Home Depot Guy: His TV is full of nicely cut 2x4's, 2x6's, 2x8's, 4x4's, and has an assortment of cement blocks as well.

The Lego Guy: He has all these neat snap together plastic blocks (giant Legos) to use for leveling that have matching snap-in chocks.

The Woodsman: He basically paces the site off before backing in and knows exactly where the tires go to be level. He eyeballs it. As soon as he's got it where he wants it he levels it lengthwise with the tongue jack and uses two pieces of split firewood for chocks.

The Engineer: He also paces the site off, eyeballs it, and occasionally he will rearrange the pea gravel to fill in a low spot. These guys typically use X-Chocks.

So as you can see, there are many, many techniques used. To each his own, I guess. I don't demean any for their methods. I myself am a combination of Woodsman and Engineer. Although, this year we didn't take any firewood with us on outings as Burn Bans were in effect from Oregon to Alaska due to wildfires. Visit a few CG's and you'll see all the techniques.

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #8

I use X-chocks to lock the wheels. I do most of the leveling side to side with two blocks of 2x8 about 18 inches long. One behind each tire on the low side, then back up on them. If I need more lift I carry a couple of longer 2x8s, one about six foot, one five foot.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I like the TriLynx Wheel Chocks. They snap into the LynxLevelers that we use for leveling. Unfortunately, I can only use one of them as the tire spacing seems to make it impossible to use 2 of them. For the other end on that side and the other side, I use heavy rubber wheel shocks.

As mentioned, leveling is done with the orange LynxLevelers.

Attachment 152116
I don't have pictures but we carry 3 2x6 planks and put 0, 1, 2, or 3 of them down and drive camper wheels onto them to level.

The rubber chock in the pic of the quote is what we use, one in front and one in the rear on the right side of camper, no matter if that side has a board or not.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #10

For leveling, I discovered at home that one shovelful of gravel raises the side of my R-Pod about 1-1/2". Haven't tried it on the road, but...
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Don't have any pictures, but leveling and chocking techniques is often the prerogative of the individual. Not all CG's are the same. I have seen just about every method used. You have:

The Accessory Guy: He has every gadget that Camping World sells to level and chock an RV.

The Home Depot Guy: His TV is full of nicely cut 2x4's, 2x6's, 2x8's, 4x4's, and has an assortment of cement blocks as well.

The Lego Guy: He has all these neat snap together plastic blocks (giant Legos) to use for leveling that have matching snap-in chocks.

The Woodsman: He basically paces the site off before backing in and knows exactly where the tires go to be level. He eyeballs it. As soon as he's got it where he wants it he levels it lengthwise with the tongue jack and uses two pieces of split firewood for chocks.

The Engineer: He also paces the site off, eyeballs it, and occasionally he will rearrange the pea gravel to fill in a low spot. These guys typically use X-Chocks.

So as you can see, there are many, many techniques used. To each his own, I guess. I don't demean any for their methods. I myself am a combination of Woodsman and Engineer. Although, this year we didn't take any firewood with us on outings as Burn Bans were in effect from Oregon to Alaska due to wildfires. Visit a few CG's and you'll see all the techniques.

Oh that is FUNNY!

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #12

Don't have any pics from a campground but here is what I do at home.
My drive has quite a slope to it.
So I have triple redundancy to stop it from coming down the hill.
I use simple chocks, then x chocks, then behind that I have 8x8 pressure treated pieces and behind them, I have 3/4 hardened steal to hold them in place that are drilled down through the 8" of concrete I have there. LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	152236  
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #13

Anderson levelers. Level and chock all in one. Put 'em down, back till level, put the chock side in place... done.
I use a levelmate pro to see when I'm level, but a big bubble level on the front of my camper would do just as well.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #14
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
Anderson levelers. Level and chock all in one. Put 'em down, back till level, put the chock side in place... done.
I use a levelmate pro to see when I'm level, but a big bubble level on the front of my camper would do just as well.

When we had our last TT, I used Anderson's on one side and X-Chocks between the tires on each side. For further stabilization, I used Valterra stabilizers under the rear bumper and under the front of the trailer behind the propane tanks, plus used a step stabilizer. No rock and roll and very little movement otherwise.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post

I'm an "Accessory Guy" myself who loves the Anderson Leveler concept and was quick to buy them--even shaved the second one off so that I could use it on the second wheel. On a challenging slope, I combine the Andersons with a plank or two that I also carry. Unfortunately, it only takes a little bit of moisture to cause them to squirt out from under the tires just as you are getting the trailer level I've tried the black tread tape that is used on steps to prevent falls, but it tends to crumple up and fail after two uses. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'll add pictures to this post tomorrow.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfossilman View Post
I'm an "Accessory Guy" myself who loves the Anderson Leveler concept and was quick to buy them--even shaved the second one off so that I could use it on the second wheel. On a challenging slope, I combine the Andersons with a plank or two that I also carry. Unfortunately, it only takes a little bit of moisture to cause them to squirt out from under the tires just as you are getting the trailer level I've tried the black tread tape that is used on steps to prevent falls, but it tends to crumple up and fail after two uses. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'll add pictures to this post tomorrow.
Here are the pictures I promised. I guess I'm an "Accessory/Lumberjack Hybrid Guy"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-09-23 10.55.24.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	152279   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-23 10.56.26.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	152280  

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Old 09-23-2017, 08:38 PM   #17
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Standard chocks to unhook then I level side to side with electric 4k jacks that I fabricated aft the axles. Then level front to back with the self equalizing hydraulic front landing gear.
The lower picture is what I bolted to the I-beam frame with 1/2" bolts. I'm able to lift the entire coach off the ground which is great for bearing maintenance or tire service.

Name:	2014-08-28%2007.55.35.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	152348

Name:	20140717_145747-1.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	152349
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:11 PM   #18

Andersons are the best, supplemented with X-chocks.
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfossilman View Post
... Unfortunately, it only takes a little bit of moisture to cause them to squirt out from under the tires just as you are getting the trailer level I've tried the black tread tape that is used on steps to prevent falls, but it tends to crumple up and fail after two uses. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. ...
I put the friction tape on top, ... and tap the levelers into place with a rubber mallet and have never had them slip, ... when the grip surface is on the bottom, they can still slide away on sand or wet grass, maybe even on slick concrete, ... but when the friction tape is on top and it has a good contact with the rubber tire, ... it's like the tire PULLS the leveler under it, not push the leveler away, ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0668.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	390.6 KB
ID:	152356  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I put the friction tape on top, ... and tap the levelers into place with a rubber mallet and have never had them slip, ... when the grip surface is on the bottom, they can still slide away on sand or wet grass, maybe even on slick concrete, ... but when the friction tape is on top and it has a good contact with the rubber tire, ... it's like the tire PULLS the leveler under it, not push the leveler away, ...
I'll give it a try that way, fella 10. The friction tape is rippling up on both sides when on top and bottom. I will also use 4-inch wide tape next time.

Tags
trailer