Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #21
Wanna Be Camper

I carry a 3ft stanley carpenters level, put it on the bedroom door jam to level front to back (fridge is on the passengers side) and on the floor inside the door for side to side. We always level with the slides in so that when we put them out the slide side goes a bit low to keep most water away from the slide seal in the event of foul weather. Fridge always works perfectly.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
X2! I don't think one needs to obsess about it. I just put a torpedo level on the floor by the outside door; level side-to-side; and then front to back. That's been working on the same trailer for 6 years now without any issues.
Indeed. For me, it is more important for the camper to "feel" level to me.
I also just level according to the floor. The fridge isn't that fussy that it has to be perfectly level.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #23

One other point.
Once you get it level and then use the 'stick-on' levels, there is no way that those will give you a very accurate reading. So best to just start by using the floor and a carpenter's level.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #24

I just use a 2 foot carpenters level and I put it on the front access door of the camper to check the side to side then use a board if needed under the tires then unhook from truck and level front to back on by putting my level on my side access door and raise or lower my front jack stabs till level then drop my rear stabilizers. I double checked the first time I did this in various spots in the camper and it was level so I just level from outside now and all is good.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
One other point.
Once you get it level and then use the 'stick-on' levels, there is no way that those will give you a very accurate reading. So best to just start by using the floor and a carpenter's level.
Quote:
Indeed. For me, it is more important for the camper to "feel" level to me.
I also just level according to the floor. The fridge isn't that fussy that it has to be perfectly level.
Confusing, if it has to feel level and the frig is not that fussy, why not get the stick on levels applied with a regular carpenters level and then just use them and forget the carpenters level?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #26

Quote:
One other point.
I bought some cheaply stick on levels got the camper level then stuck them on. Next time I went camping I just went by those levels and it was way off. If I invest in another set they will be better set. For now I will just go with my carpenters level.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Confusing, if it has to feel level and the frig is not that fussy, why not get the stick on levels applied with a regular carpenters level and then just use them and forget the carpenters level?
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.
I meant to use a carpenter's level on the floor, to get the camper level, so that the stick-on levels can be applied.
What I was intending is that trying to use the fridge as the basis for level was kindof pointless, as the stick-on levels don't have that much accuracy anyway.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8lvy View Post
I bought some cheaply stick on levels got the camper level then stuck them on. Next time I went camping I just went by those levels and it was way off. If I invest in another set they will be better set. For now I will just go with my carpenters level.
There are definitely better ones. I had a set with the steel balls in them, and they were terrible. The balls seemed to drag, and they never worked properly. It seems the bubble ones work best, and the bigger the better.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Found out years ago that the stick on levels once applied originally had to be secured with stainless steel screws to remain in the correct position. Once that was done, they are as good as anything, but if left just to the adhesive, they are useless.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #30

Quote:

There are definitely better ones. I had a set with the steel balls in them, and they were terrible. The balls seemed to drag, and they never worked properly. It seems the bubble ones work best, and the bigger the better.
That was the same set I bought. The one fell off already and I am going to remove the other one. I agree with you about the bubble ones and the bigger the better.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #31

Quote:

Found out years ago that the stick on levels once applied originally had to be secured with stainless steel screws to remain in the correct position. Once that was done, they are as good as anything, but if left just to the adhesive, they are useless.
The adhesive on mine was not very good. They were a bb ball level and the ball would not move unless you tapped on it. That's what I get for buying a cheap cheap set. Next ones will be better and I will probably mount them to the access doors with screws so they stay level.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #32

A two foot level on the rear bumper to level side-to-side; then level on front frame under the entry door for front-to-back level. I then put a bubble level inside on the counter and floor to verify.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
The adhesive on mine was not very good. They were a bb ball level and the ball would not move unless you tapped on it. That's what I get for buying a cheap cheap set. Next ones will be better and I will probably mount them to the access doors with screws so they stay level.
I used the little Hoppy bubble levels and attached with ss screws. Worked great once securely attached. When we got the new 5ver, got the big level and installed just above the pinbox and I like it as I can see when backing up or pulling on a site where it is level side to side while still in the truck. Much easier and then all I have to do is raise or lower the trailer to level fore/aft.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #34
MC9

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Don't you have a button inside an access panel that does all that?
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #35
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC9 View Post
I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Don't you have a button inside an access panel that does all that?
That option probably costs more than my entire Roo :-P
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #36

Hmmm, there are probably a 150 different ways to level a unit but I have to agree (not that it matters) with Himcules on this one. An RV fridge is a very basic absorption system and although it needs to be fairly level to work properly I can't imagine that any would be installed so unlevel from the floor that it wouldn't work.
That would make for a very crappy installation and at that point I would be concerned about how the rest if the unit was put together.

Again, there are many ways to level a unit and whatever you are comfortable with is the method you should use.

I use a 2' level on the floor and my son makes fun of me.
rm373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
A general rule of thumb used with the newer models is "if it is comfortable walking in the camper, it is good for the refrigerator"

Our refrig. in in the rear wall, so if I am level side to side according to the big level on the pinbox. I'm good to go. I set the pinbox level by leveling off the bottom side trim molding and the rear trim molding which is close enough for me.

X-3
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #38
Denver, CO

Quote:
We use this and get readings for front to back and side to side.
X2.

I adjusted it to level using a variety of locations on the camper and just use it.

Plus I have my intellijack system that automatically levels from front to back. It is a bit of a luxury but I really like it.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #39

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the stove. I have played the various games of leveling in different places only to have an egg run all the way to the back of the frying pan. So I calibrated my auto leveling system for a level stove. BTW, it's not an exact science!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the stove. I have played the various games of leveling in different places only to have an egg run all the way to the back of the frying pan. So I calibrated my auto leveling system for a level stove. BTW, it's not an exact science!
You would think that for the price we pay for some of these units, they could install the stinkin stove level!

« Bearings | Mattress »