Old 04-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #11

Thanks HERK I knew they weren't there for no reason I'll start using them on my new TT when it comes in .OH yea how often do you grease them

Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #12

My signature TT came in new from the factory, and within 4 days, after a "Dealer Prep" (which I PAID for), I took delivery. Got the unit home (only 10+/- miles from the dealer) and each zerk on the easy-lube system took more than 15 pumps of grease, before I saw ANY movement. Couldn't get a confirmation from the dealer as to whether it was towed from the factory (Indiana?) to Albany this way, or if it was flatbedded, but with 29'3" overall length, I'm thinking that it was likely towed....

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

From the factory (where they use pre-packed bearings to assemble your camper), they are NOT FILLED.

So buy two tubes of your favorite bearing grease that meet the specs.
NLGI GRADE 2 LITHIUM COMPLEX GREASE WITH A MINIMUM DROPPING POINT OF 440 F

1) remove the rubber center cap and INSPECT THE ZERK FITTINGS.
I can't emphasis this enough. two of mine were rolling around inside the metal cap. One was only finger tight.

2) Loosen the metal tip on your grease gun to make it easier to get on and off the Zerk The tip may be tightened all the way and very difficult to get one and off. (I learned this tip right here!)

3) If the Zerk does not take grease easily (and it should) it can be bad. They are VERY cheaply made. Trying to force grease into a clogged Zerk can result in a rear seal blow out if the plug lets go all at once. Plus you don't want that hardened crap in your bearings anyway.

4) a bad Zerk should be removed and soaked in gas. Then hooked up to the grease gun to make sure the grease comes through easily. If not a trip to the auto store is needed for replacement.

5) start slowly pumping. YOU WILL WORRY. It takes a few pumps to fill up the voids in the hub. While the spindle is a narrow tube, the void between the inner and outer bearing is quite large and you are using a tiny hole in the Zerk to move all that thick grease through the inner bearing and out the outer bearing.

6) have a rag (several from a box-o-rags) to wipe down the old grease as it oozes out from the outer bearing. You can stop when you see fresh grease.

Purists (and correct procedure) is to jack each axle and spin the tire while pumping the new grease in to evenly distribute the grease around the rollers. I did not and it did not seem to hurt. For new axles (or after a repack/inspection) you will use about a full tube (maybe more if the gun is new).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
2) Loosen the metal tip on your grease gun to make it easier to get on and off the Zerk The tip may be tightened all the way and very difficult to get one and off. (I learned this tip right here!)
Darn it, I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip for next time.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #15

Hey Herk, pardon my ignorance and I have'nt taken delivery yet of our TT so I can't go out and look or play around with it.....are there grease fittings I will see to lube the bearings? I don't know what Zerk is. Do I just pull the cap and common sense will dictate from there what I need to do? I am of at least average mechanical intelligence. And last, when checking for excess heat from bearings you are finger touching the hub, correct?

PS great idea everyone about TPMS I hadn't considered but will now get
Old 04-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #16

You know, never mind Herk! Now that I reread thread and yer using grease gun I should be able to figure it out when I get our trailer. Just wasted three hours watching Bulls loose to Knicks and had more Jack Daniels than usual so I am not thinking straight. Besides, I have the walk thru I can nail down any questions.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #17

In my case, I knew I had a problem when a tire appeared in my sideview mirror and tried to pass me before going off the road and into the woods.
It appears that the tire lost air slowly and then just "came off the rim" and tried to make a run for it.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #18

This is a little long and slow-paced, but this seems like a good video of what you're talking about.

Can someone tell me if this is the correct procedure? I'm a visual learner and this seems to demonstrate what has been written here in the post.

We just bought our Surveyor SP280 and will be putting some miles on it going to FL this summer. That's about 2,000 miles round trip. I'd like to pick up a gun to be prepared during the trip. Are the Zerk fittings for the gun available at most auto parts stores like Advanced?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

That is about the way I do mine. The only difference is that I remove the grease gun from the zerk every time I wipe the old grease out.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote