Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #21
Jan Goldfield

But you don't throw that key away because someday, somehow, it MIGHT be necessary.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Cool Replaced all storage locks on mine

I replaced all the locks on my cargo doors because they came OEM with keys marked CH-751.

That key will open the exterior storage door on almost every camper ever made. Our camper came with a laundry chute that has access to the interior. While our chute is small, a child could get through and open the main door for an accomplice.

Cost about 70 bucks to do them all (including one lock each on the 2 Propane compartments).

We never had a problem, and don't intend to start now.

The main door key opens both the latch and the deadbolt in our camper, but I believe there are several different keys for the main door locks and the main door is not as serious a security threat.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Powerboater, key no fit!

Powerboater, I just figured out why you have the blank key that does not fit anything!! All retired Senior Chiefs has to have something to make them feel good when SC no longer command the troops! (keeps the mind busy)

Sid USN/RET
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #24
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory View Post
Thank you for posting this, as I'm tired of people treating me like a dumb blonde when I mention it. I went to the parts guy where we bought our RV and asked if they made keys. He said, yeah why. I said because my deadbolt and door key are two different keys and the trailer only came with one deadbolt key. He said, that's not possible, the same key fits both. I said no it doesn't it's two keys. He again said, no the other key is for something else, the same key fits the deadbolt and the door. I got angry and said, Dude, I'm not an idiot I know that it takes two keys to open the door. He said, OK then, but the key machine is broken anyway. ugh!
I have a Flagstaff TT and a very senior tech at my RV dealer told me that the lock for the door handle is a universal lock and that all dealers have a master key that will open it (and certainly thieves have that key by now too).

He said the dead-bolt lock is keyed individually for each trailer and that the dealer's master key will not open it. So his advice was to always use the deadbolt.

Of course, I imagine like most commercial vehicle locks there is still some finite number of key combos (100, 200, or who knows) and determined thieves are likely to have a full set anyway. But at least they would need lots of time and determination to find the key that works and most crooks aren't that patient. They will just smash the glass.

I had a trailer break-in once and that's how they got in. I was lucky though because they cut the hell out of themselves (evidenced by blood everywhere and a roll of paper towels outside on the ground) and they fled without taking anything but a TV remote.

Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #25

I think the same thing should apply to homes, so when we purchased ours I had DH take the new knobs to a locksmith and had them all keyed alike. Therefore we only need one key to fit all the doors and no confusion.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:25 AM   #26

I have a key for the door, one key for the tent ends, one key for the compartments on the side and finally one key for the outside shower, Mind you i have two sets, but they gave me an extra two keys just for the tent ends, go figure
Kevin
TF-Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #27
Jan Goldfield

I have one key for the door and one other for the cargo bays. Frankly, I think both of them could be opened with a butter knife.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #28
Site Team - Lou

<sigh> Too true

Yes, you are certainly correct on the butter knife.

Locks are meant to keep honest people honest and the "casual thief" at bay. Providing "opportunity" is just silly.

A professional crook is going to rob you know matter what security measures you have taken.

Motto of the Burglar Alarm Company
The BEST sense of security is a FALSE sense of security.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #29

Door Locks and the keys are supplied by the Door maker. So, when they build the RV, there is NO WAY to know what key is for each door and to match up those door locks. BTW, your Stick house will have different keys for each door, unless you specify that all the door locks have the same brand lock and key when building the house. The builder will then have to purchase and have all locks keyed the same. Doug
DOUGRAINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Yes, you are certainly correct on the butter knife.

Locks are meant to keep honest people honest and the "casual thief" at bay. Providing "opportunity" is just silly.

A professional crook is going to rob you know matter what security measures you have taken.

Motto of the Burglar Alarm Company
The BEST sense of security is a FALSE sense of security.
There is NOT an RV door lock that can be jimmied with a credit card/Plastic strip/Butter knife or knife. The DESIGN of an RV door lock keeps that from happening. It is NOT a theft design but a design to keep the door jam from binding when the RV frame is twisted by unlevel ground. In 32 years as an RV tech, I have NEVER seen a RV door lock jimmied. What usually happens is--The thief is thinking the door is like a regular house door and they DO destroy the frame and the door with the pry bars, but they NEVER get the door open. They then bust out a window to get in and then from the inside they open the busted door. Doug
DOUGRAINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGRAINER View Post
Door Locks and the keys are supplied by the Door maker. So, when they build the RV, there is NO WAY to know what key is for each door and to match up those door locks. BTW, your Stick house will have different keys for each door, unless you specify that all the door locks have the same brand lock and key when building the house. The builder will then have to purchase and have all locks keyed the same. Doug
..... Finally!!! An explanation to my original post that makes sense. And yes, when we had our house built, the builder had all the external door locks keyed alike. I just assumed that this was standard practice.

....VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #32
The Old Man

Quote:
They then bust out a window to get in and then from the inside they open the busted door.
Yep! This happened to me. But they wound up cutting themselves on the glass and got blood all over the deck. They had started to steal a TV and other odds and ends but apparently the bleeding was so bad all they got away with was a roll of paper towels and the TV remote which they must have put in their pocket. They even left their bloody "burglar tools" behind!

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #33
Jan Goldfield

Poetic justice!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #34
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
There is NOT an RV door lock that can be jimmied with a credit card/Plastic strip/Butter knife or knife. The DESIGN of an RV door lock keeps that from happening. It is NOT a theft design but a design to keep the door jam from binding when the RV frame is twisted by unlevel ground. In 32 years as an RV tech, I have NEVER seen a RV door lock jimmied. What usually happens is--The thief is thinking the door is like a regular house door and they DO destroy the frame and the door with the pry bars, but they NEVER get the door open. They then bust out a window to get in and then from the inside they open the busted door. Doug
I feel so much better now.
Thanks,