Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #1

How ludicrous is this .........

Brought our new 2010 8315BSS home from the dealer yesterday. For those not familiar with the floorplan, it has two entry doors - one for the bedroom and one for the main area. BUT both locks are keyed individually !! Now Murphy's Law kicks in and every time I need to lock or unlock either of the doors I always have the key to the other door in hand !!!! How much would it have cost to have them keyed alike at the factory anyway ????

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #2

My class A has 2 keys for the entrance door, 1 key for the compartments, 1 key for the ignition, and 1 key to open the rear door to access the radiator area. Would have loved it if everything but the ignition was keyed the same.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
My class A has 2 keys for the entrance door, 1 key for the compartments, 1 key for the ignition, and 1 key to open the rear door to access the radiator area. Would have loved it if everything but the ignition was keyed the same.
Same thing on our gasser. I guess the RV makers also have stock in key companies.
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Knower of Some Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Brought our new 2010 8315BSS home from the dealer yesterday. For those not familiar with the floorplan, it has two entry doors - one for the bedroom and one for the main area. BUT both locks are keyed individually !! Now Murphy's Law kicks in and every time I need to lock or unlock either of the doors I always have the key to the other door in hand !!!! How much would it have cost to have them keyed alike at the factory anyway ????

...VTX-AL
Your new 8315 has locks made by a company called Fastex. There are 50 different combinations of keys for the Fastex locks. They start out HF, EF, and CF 301 - 351. If you remove the inside plate of the lock, you will find your key numbers (as well as on your keys). Call the 800 number on the inside of the lock. Fastex will sell you a new lock with the number you specify. Allow a week or so for delivery, prepare to spend about $40.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #5

congrats on the new trailer. after seeing the 8315BSS,we wish we had gotten that model.we like the additional space around the bed.
we have an 8315SS and have never use the door to the bedroom. we will open the door occasionally for ventilation. it is not an issue for us to only use one entrance .plus i have both keys on the same ring,it only takes a second to find the correct one if we need to open the bedroom door. enjoy your time in the trailer and don't sweat the small stuff..
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #6

The trailer we had before the one we have now had one key to fit the back dead bolt and a different one for the regular lock. On the front door they were reversed. The key that opened the regular lock on the back opened the deadbolt on the front, and vice versa. Bad thing was they all looked alike.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
Now a "Top Member"

My old TT was the same way! I never even thought about trying to match 'em up! Heh. I just traded it in on a 5th wheel with only one door!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #8

Our V-cross has the same deal with the keys. They are plastic coated, so I filed a notch in each side of the front door key. Easy to grab the right one first try.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #9

You can color code one of the keys if you don't what to spend $40.00 bucks. The locks that are used are not worth that kind of money.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #10

i have to stop laughing
our m/h has similar lock issues

plus i have a key that came with the coach that opens NOTHING, maybe they needed it for weight
Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #11

Beware Of Black Coating On Keys

Watch your keys, if the plactic breaks the key will fall out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackcoating on camper keys.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	2330  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post

...VTX-AL
That's how mine was. I didn't have a problem with it at all. Kept both keys on the same ring.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #13

At the hardware store you can get color code key covers. I have one for the front door another for the back door one for storage and another for the hitch lock.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #14

If it will help, I can send my son camping with you (you know, the one that's WAY smarter than me!). He takes the keys in the ocean in his pocket and PRESTO- no more key issues!
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #15

I had the same issue on my Aljo TT.
I jot so frustrated that I took my pocket knife and carved two big notches in the plastic of the "Living room" key so I could identify it quickly in the dark.
I didn't get the thinking behind two different lock sets either.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound of Sound View Post
At the hardware store you can get color code key covers. I have one for the front door another for the back door one for storage and another for the hitch lock.
Same here... Color ring goes to front door, regular key goes to bunk bed door.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #17

I thank everyone for their comments and suggestions - I have already done the "notch" thing and will keep an eye out for a couple of colored covers. Just the same, it irks the heck out of me that such a simple thing as "keyed alike" doors aren't done as a matter of routine !!!

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #18
Old Junior Member

Simply scribe one key with an f & one with a b or just scribe only one then you will know front from back. Problem solved $ saved= $40.00!
Days camped in:
2010 = 72
2011=10
SHOOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #19

Thank you for posting this, as I'm tired of people treating me like a dumb blonde when I mention it. I went to the parts guy where we bought our RV and asked if they made keys. He said, yeah why. I said because my deadbolt and door key are two different keys and the trailer only came with one deadbolt key. He said, that's not possible, the same key fits both. I said no it doesn't it's two keys. He again said, no the other key is for something else, the same key fits the deadbolt and the door. I got angry and said, Dude, I'm not an idiot I know that it takes two keys to open the door. He said, OK then, but the key machine is broken anyway. ugh!
Tory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 AM   #20

I had to replace one of the locks in one of my storage doors because none of the keys fit it.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote