Old 04-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #1

Was reading a thread on another site and it was mentioned that the AC hold down bolts should be tightened. I went to tighten the bolts on my AC's and had to turn each one at least a dozen times before they were snug. How tight should they be made? One respondent said they should be snug, but what is considered snug?
thanks.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Was reading a thread on another site and it was mentioned that the AC hold down bolts should be tightened. I went to tighten the bolts on my AC's and had to turn each one at least a dozen times before they were snug. How tight should they be made? One respondent said they should be snug, but what is considered snug?
thanks.
Hmmm, Never heard of this being an issue. I certainly wouldn't think they are all like this. Never checked them on our old rig and it was a '94. I would check with the manufacturer web site (Domettic or A&E, Coleman, Etc.) and see if they list torque values.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

AC Tightness

I ran into this problem right out of the chute when I got my rig.

I learned this:

1) There is a thick 1 inch gasket that goes between the AC and the rig roof

2) There are 4 yellow torque tabs on the AC that go into the roof hole that should just touch the roof when the AC is properly torqued.

3) to view the torque tabs you must drop the plastic cover on the inside of the camper.

4) If the four tabs are not evenly torqued to the roof; not touching the roof; or not in view (folded under the gasket at any point); you are gonna have a leak.

5) Over compressing the gasket (tabs past the gasket and inside the hole) or undercompressing the gasket (tabs not touching roof) or uneven torque (tabs all over the place up/down) will make the gasket leak over time.

6) The only way to repair is to replace the damaged gasket with a new one and properly torque.

Hope this helps. Mine was bad from the factory (over torqued on one side); leaked after a month on the road and repaired under warranty.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I ran into this problem right out of the chute when I got my rig.

I learned this:

1) There is a thick 1 inch gasket that goes between the AC and the rig roof

2) There are 4 yellow torque tabs on the AC that go into the roof hole that should just touch the roof when the AC is properly torqued.

3) to view the torque tabs you must drop the plastic cover on the inside of the camper.

4) If the four tabs are not evenly torqued to the roof; not touching the roof; or not in view (folded under the gasket at any point); you are gonna have a leak.

5) Over compressing the gasket (tabs past the gasket and inside the hole) or undercompressing the gasket (tabs not touching roof) or uneven torque (tabs all over the place up/down) will make the gasket leak over time.

6) The only way to repair is to replace the damaged gasket with a new one and properly torque.

Hope this helps. Mine was bad from the factory (over torqued on one side); leaked after a month on the road and repaired under warranty.
Thanks for the info Herk!
I hope this isn't a widespread issue as I don't need another chore to do, but maybe I should check mine.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #5

Herk,
Thanks for the info as to what to look for. I will need to go back out to my rig and see if I can find the tabs and adjust the tightness of the bolts accordingly.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #6

Looked around and could not see any yellow tabs or anything that resembled the tabs. Will have to see if I can find out if there are any torque specs for the bolts.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #7

How Tight? -- UPDATE!!

Looked up my AC on the Dometic website and they said that the bolts should be tightened to 40-50 inch pounds, which translates to approx 4 foot lbs. Had a 0 - 100 ft lb torque wrench so I went out to check to make sure the bolts were not overtightened. Well, even after originally hand tightening about 12-15 turns with a ratchet, it seems that the bolts needed even further tightening. I hand tightened one to the approx. torque and set my hand drill to start ratcheting when it hit that torque. Well, I was surprised that the drill spun a number of times before it started to ratchet. I checked with the torque wrench and still had to make a couple of more turns to reach the desired torque. Conclusion, my AC hold down bolts were EXTREMELY loose.
Just and FYI.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Maybe its a Coleman thing since I have a Coleman Mach 15,000 BTU AC. It was indeed mounted crooked and some tabs were folded under the gasket. Mounting that thing is a 2 man job and it looks like someone at FR took a short cut.

The SOB at Forest River also GLUED my interior plastic cover to the ceiling and my dealer had to slice the white RTV that held the plastic cover in place.

The gasket leak had to fill the plastic cover until the water reached the air vent slides before I found it all over the floor after a heavy downpour. I had noticed water there once before while camping in the rain, but I assumed the dog's water had been spilled.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #9

Unbelievable!!! Glued the interior cover on? What were they thinking?? I guess Forest River paid to have it repaired.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Yes. removing the AC; replacing the gasket; and reinsalling everything was covered under warranty.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW