Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #1

How to access your water heater

So in an attempt to fix my black water flush system which didn't work since day one due to a faulty check valve I had to gain access to the compartment that the water heater is mounted in. It was my theory that the check valve was located above the heater. Much to my dismay once I got in there it wasn't. It is in fact located in the washer/dryer closet inside the rig in the bed room, oh well. I did manage to learn how to access the water heater should I need to service the plumbing or remove it for any reason. So for those of you "do it yourselfers" who might benefit from my mistake, here is directions and pictures to help you gain access to your water heater.

Our rig is a 2009 Georgetown 378, however the mounting of the water heater on many rigs will probably be close to the same. The panel that the heater is mounted in is in fact a door that opens upward. Here is how you do it.

1. Under the motorhome below the water heater locate 2 "L" brackets that attach the bottom of the door to the frame and remove the screws that mount upwards into the frame (picture 1)

2. Remove the water heater access panel and find 4 screws that are approximately 4" long and attach the trim bezel to the water heater, remove the 4 screws (picture 2)

3. Remove the trim bezel. Ours had Dicor sealant across the inner lower seam which had to be cut through and removed. I used a wire wheel in a drill to "grind" it away, then cut though it with a razor blade. FR also puts plumbers putty on the back side of the trim bezel which seems like overkill since the entire bezel is also caulked with clear caulking around it's entirety. (picture 3)

4. With the bezel removed locate 4 metal screws that secure the water heater to the aluminum frame of the door (actually ours had 3). Remove these screws (picture 4).

5. You can now grasp the bottom of the panel and lift upwards. You will find that the water heater is mounted in a rotocast compartment just like all the other compartments and there is a rubber seal around the opening just like the compartment doors. (picture 5)

You can now access the water heater and all it's plumbing. Hope this helps anyone who needs to service their water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heater1.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1865   Click image for larger version

Name:	heater2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1866   Click image for larger version

Name:	heater3.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1867   Click image for larger version

Name:	heater4.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1868   Click image for larger version

Name:	heater5.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1869  

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Knower of Some Things

Why do they have to bury those things so badly? Is it too much to ask for an access panel on the inside of the coach or just below the chassis frame rail on the inside???
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaPro View Post
Why do they have to bury those things so badly? Is it too much to ask for an access panel on the inside of the coach or just below the chassis frame rail on the inside???
I hear ya Puma, As the panel opens like a door you would think they could have just put a latch on it so you could open it like any other compartment without all the hassle. HMMMM, now the wheels are turning....
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote