Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #1

How to affix Velcro to a vertical surface?

Am installing Velcro to the dinette cushion seat backs, that is, the type that comes with the adhesive already attached. I got the Velcro attached to the cushions fine with our steam iron. But, it won't produce steam in a vertical position. I tried just heat on the plywood/Velcro but it didn't really work.

Is there some other trick to doing this other than buying a new iron? We have a steam cleaner for cleaning grout in ceramic tile floors. Would this work? Is steam needed to react with the glue on the Velcro? The Velcro on the seatbacks looks like it will never come off as I did it on a horizontal surface with lots of steam coming out. Would a blow dryer work?

I'm also worried about steam warping or damaging the factory plywood in the dinette seating. I tried gluing a test piece to a plywood scrap on a table, but a day later the plywood was warped. At the worst, I'm worried the plywood might even de-laminate. (Who knows where it's from and what the quality is.)

Thanks!
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's the heat that's activating the glue to allow it to adhere. How about trying to attach the velcro to the plywood with a heat gun or even a hair dryer.

If that fails, you could use two sided tape.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #3

So you're trying to use the heat-activated velcro for fabric on plywood? I don't think that will work. Why don't you try purchasing some adhesive-backed industrial strength velcro that doesn't require heat and/or steam? You can use that on the plywood and the fabric velcro on the cushions.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. The plywood is prefinished (semi-gloss finish) and not bare plywood. Where would I get the industrial type Velcro?

I bought the Velcro at a local fabric shop and they only seemed to have the ordinary stuff. Man, was I out of my element. Dozens of women and not another male in sight. Worse than walking into a women's restroom by mistake, lol! Maybe I could just phone the fabric shop about the industrial Velcro.....

This morning I tried a hair dryer on a piece of scrap plywood and it *seems* to be working. I could not pick it off without a lot of effort and repeated attempts to pull it off with an opposing piece of Velcro had no effect. Maybe I could use the hair dryer in the TT and use the wait-and-see approach before upgrading to industrial Velcro. And once the upright cushions are in place, they are not going to be taken off very often at all anyway. Would be nice to know where to get the industrial Velcro though.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Glue, shmooooo!

Industrial strength Velcro is available at Home Depot........just look for where they stock it and the proper identification on the label saying so.

That being said........I secured our Velcro vertically using industrial staples from a staple gun. Doing whatever with your hairdryer is additional for your saitsfaction, but once you put a couple of good staples into it, it's not gonna come off!!!!!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Thanks for the replies. The plywood is prefinished (semi-gloss finish) and not bare plywood. Where would I get the industrial type Velcro?

I bought the Velcro at a local fabric shop and they only seemed to have the ordinary stuff. Man, was I out of my element. Dozens of women and not another male in sight. Worse than walking into a women's restroom by mistake, lol! Maybe I could just phone the fabric shop about the industrial Velcro.....

This morning I tried a hair dryer on a piece of scrap plywood and it *seems* to be working. I could not pick it off without a lot of effort and repeated attempts to pull it off with an opposing piece of Velcro had no effect. Maybe I could use the hair dryer in the TT and use the wait-and-see approach before upgrading to industrial Velcro. And once the upright cushions are in place, they are not going to be taken off very often at all anyway. Would be nice to know where to get the industrial Velcro though.

Thanks for the help!
I think I bought mine at Wal-Mart. Comes in both black & white.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #7

You can get the industrial Velcro at Wal-mart in the sewing dept. By the pins and thread.
ldmcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I got a upholstery guy to sew 3 Velcro squares to my cushion material. On the wall, I screwed in 3 Velcro "dots" that I had left over from redoing the Velcro in my Trailmanor. Things have worked out well with that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #9

Well, an attempt with a hair dryer to affix the regular adhesive-backed Velcro was a bust. I used a digital timer to ensure even heating but it ended up not doing ANYTHING plus I actually melted the Velcro in a couple of spots. Argh, not good...

So I went to Walmart and bought some of the industrial strength stuff. I think it is working but I am afraid to try too hard to peel it off. So the cushions are up and look great but who knows what will happen if we want to pull them off one day if we have a visitor who needs a bed.

If the new stuff doesn't hold up, I may use some non-adhesive Velcro and glue it on with construction adhesive.

Thanks for the idea of industrial Velcro. I had never heard of it before.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #10

Take a needle and threat and sew the corners of the Velcro on the cushion cover. Thake a staple gun and tack the two ends of the seat back, or use silicone sealant as an adhesive, it works amazing. But in general, you should be fine with industrial self adhesive Velcro as long as you aren't repeatedly pulling the cushion form the seat back