Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #1

How to reattach enclosed bottom?

We have had a portion about 4 feet (where the fresh water drain is located) long of the bottom of the camper drop and open a 4 inch or so gap. I would like to reattach it so mice don't get in during winter storage, but when I inspected I don't see how it was attached prior. There are no screw holes to attach to the frame.

- should I use liquid nails to put it back up?
- should I drill holes and use bolts?
- any other suggestions or experience?

PS - it seems the fresh water drain is not attached to the camper and only to the subfloor. Should it be attached elsewhere?
Virginiacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #2

mine did that on the second trip. it was attached to the frame. i used finder washers between the screw and the metal enclosure and rebolted it to the frame. the dealer added pop rivets where the pieces of enclosure metal attached to each other. u should have screw holes there already. the screws on that area between the frame don't have much to hold screws. believe that area is made that way so that u can access the tanks.

when u go to rescrew it to the bottom, pay attention where the tanks are. i have seen post where some adding braces to the legs drilled into one of the tanks.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Our Surveyor has a metal strip that is attached to the box with screws.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #4

this a picture of what i have and what i did.
u can see that the sewer line isn't attached very well. the band is held to the underbelly by a screw. guess what, the screw strips out easily (as shown).

i've found that i am not very good with descriptions. a picture is worth 59 words...or something like that.

sewer line support viewed form front and driver side of rv.

underbelly viewed from front looking back from passenger side. (2002 cardinal 33ts).

you can see the three finder washers (large washer with a small hole) holding the underbelly to the frame. if u look closely at the center fender washer, the metal is torn. that is why i used a fender washer, i wanted more contact with the underbelly. if u follow the seam part of the panel to the right, u will see a pop rivit. the dealer did this; said they would just snip them if they had to go in. this was held together by screws, much like the sewer line is held up. that thin metal doesn't hold the screws.
i suspect that the screws vibrated out and the panel caught the wind and that tore it away.
when i went on the factory tour in 2004, i mentioned that this has happened and suggested they put the rear seam under the front seam. the guy that did the tour said they had never heard of this happening. suspect the dealers were quietly taking care of it and not feeding the info back to factory.
while on the tour, when we got to the back, i was allowed to show him what i was talking abt on one that had just had the belly installed. turned out, the way i suggested is the way they were doing them in 2004.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

you can also go to menards or lowes and purchase an aluminium strip called turn bar which i have found to work great 10 foot strips and has holes every 4 inches .
I will get a pic and post .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote