Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 09:31 AM   #1

How to repair LED porch light strip

I have a 2014 Rockwood 2306 that has an LED strip under the awning "porch light". Unfortunately, the LED strip doesn't appear to be working (only about an inch lights up). Can anyone advise if/how it possible to repair or replace these lights ? I am not sure where the connection is, or if the strip can be removed or replaced.

Thank you
keelidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Is your LED light strip on the awning tube or mounted on the sidewall below the awning attachment rail? In either case, the strip can be replaced though you need to find the wiring connection to the switch. Our camper has the strip below the awning rail and the wiring junction box was inside coinciding with the front end of the awning. The connection for the power awning was also there.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #3

Thank you Dave for the response. I believe the LED light strip is mounted below the awning rail, but I will investigate further this weekend. Where did you order/buy the new light strip ?

Keeli
Old 03-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't have to replacement the awning LED lights but had to replace the entire power awning and thus know about the wiring. I googled and found many available on-line though Camping Word, amazon, ebay.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #5

LED

I have a 2014 Rockwood 2109S that has a Dometic power awning and mine has a LED light strip mounted under the awning. I noticed that several of the individual lights are not working.
I contacted Dometic and they gave me a part number 3315283.006 for my light strip (yours may not be the same). I called a local dealer (Dometic will not sell directly to you) but decided to wait till more of them burn out as it was $75 bucks for the light strip!

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #6

There have been massive failures on that light strip. Mine was replaced under warranty. Are you past warranty?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #7

Like Evereddie, go warranty first. If past warranty, go to your awning manufacturer and they may do something for customer satisfaction. If no joy either way there, you can replace the LED strip with a much higher quality, sealed one from the aftermarket with little trouble and well south of $100. As for the connection, look at your awning supports. One side or the other you'll see the wires.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #8

My factory installed Dometic lights failed 3 times in warranty. It is a flaw in their design. They have several sectioned strip that are fused together. On the backside of the strips, moisture enters in and corrodes the copper at the fused pieces.
I gave up going back to the dealer for replacement. I ended up buying outdoor rated LED strip from Hitlights. They sell on Amazon and fit perfectly. A 16' strip cost me less than $15.00 and I got the same color as the original Dometic (cool white) and is actaully slightly brighter than the Dometic version.
The adhesive on the Hitlights is lacking so I bought some 3M automotive adhesive.
The Hitlights work straight off of the 12 volt meaning power wise it is a direct hardwired replacement.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #9

Hi bgilly

You stated the Hitlights work straight off of the 12 volt, so it's a direct hardwired replacement...did you just plug in the hitlights or cut/redo the wiring from hitlights to existing wiring ?

I have the hitlights, but I'm unsure how they could/should be connected and also unsure how they should be connected to be able to access the controller for the lights changing colord, etc...any tips, suggestions, or links would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelidp View Post
Hi bgilly

You stated the Hitlights work straight off of the 12 volt, so it's a direct hardwired replacement...did you just plug in the hitlights or cut/redo the wiring from hitlights to existing wiring ?

I have the hitlights, but I'm unsure how they could/should be connected and also unsure how they should be connected to be able to access the controller for the lights changing colord, etc...any tips, suggestions, or links would be greatly appreciated.
I used the leads the Hit Lights light strip had already soldered on at the one end. I crimp spliced it to my already present power wiring from the camper.

I have just the one color light. I did think of going with the RGB but didn't really have a place to put the controller. I later realized I could have installed that in the awning column tube. I don't know how weather tight the controller is or would need to be so my simple factory replacement install did the trick without a lot of worry.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #11

OK thank you. I will see what I can figure out this weekend
Old 05-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #12

I can take a photo of mine if that helps. It could be that we have different connectors since you are going with the RGB light strip.

Bobby

Tags
led, light, repair