Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #1

Hydraulic Leveling System Question

My new unit came with a BigFoot Hydraulic Auto Leveling System. What do folks recommend (if anything) to put under the jack foot to prevent it from sinking into soft ground. I guess I could alway use some 2x6s but didn't know if there was something easier to store. I've seen the lego type blocking at RV stores but I'm not sure it's good for supporting these jacks as well as driving the wheels onto.

Also -- the jacks are only about 24" and can only lift the tires off the ground about a foot. Is it a good idea to put some blocking under the jacks so that it can raise the rig higher if it needs to in order to get level? Is there an upper limit on how high I should get the tires off the ground?

I couldn't find any thing like this in the owners manual that came with.
Cougguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #2

Levelers

I had Bigfoot on my other motorhome. They were good jacks. With the larger footpads you don't need anything under them if you are on paavement or gravel. On grass or soft ground use a wood block; 2x6 or 4x6 if you want to get higher. The leggo type are ok but will break if not on level ground and will disappear deep into soft ground. One thing to remember the jacks are not mean to lift the motorhome off the ground. Also make sure you use them in pairs if you level manually or you could twist your frame. If the entrance door is hard to open or close then you have your frame in a bind. If you get on un level ground and you do happen to lift the front wheels of the ground this won't do any harm.. But if you lift the rear wheels off the ground then I would advise (other than not to do it) to place wood blocks under each dual tire and let some weight down on the blocks. Don't forget your emergency brake will not hold if all the wheels are off the ground; not a good situation. The jacks can take a beating and the auto feature will let the computer do the leveling. I find that if the computer can't level the coach then it's best to find another place to park. Best advice is stay on solid ground as it's a lot of work digging out jacks stuck in the mud.
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

By all means keep those rear wheels on the ground. I'm getting ready to build 4 wooden pads approx. 16" x 16" x 3" with (3)2x6 pressure treated lumber 16" long placed side by side and the same in the opposite direction then screwed together. I generally use the Lynx-Levelers 90% of the time with no problems but it is important that the ground is firm and I use them under each wheel on the rear. They are easy to store and drive up on to. I just hose them off occasionally.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #4

Great Advice -- much appreciated!
Cougguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #5

We have the Bigfoot on our Class C (3051S) it does very good so far. My question is there away you can check Hydro oil for maintance for the jacks, where ?
The Dealer was not to good on knowing a lot about items.
Frog has been good to learn. Thank you!!
raydee66 is offline   Reply With Quote