Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #1

Post I thought I heard a noise

So I thought I heard some unusual noises pulling out of the CG last time out…..
Ask the dealer to check and look what they found:
Dexter #3500 lbs axle
Curbside brake/hub assembly not attached to axle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7150290.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	7048   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7150291.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	7049   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7150294.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	7050   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7150295.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	7051  
Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #2

Dexter says they will warranty it... but if I want it before the next camping trip I will need to pay for air freight to get the parts here in time.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. Glad you had that checked out.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #4

NO kidding .. The warranty clerk said the wheel was held on by a cotter pin and wishful thinking for the last trip back
Old 07-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #5

when i changed my brakes this past winter, i had almost the same thing. all bolts were gone. one that apparently was the last hold out had been pulled around then pulled out and worn away.
did not have the damage to the drum and seal u did.
now i will check the bolts for tight at the beginning of each season.
the one did that on mine was the left rear. had had a flat on the left front 6 years prior. the vibration may have loosened something. or it may not have been torqued properly from the factory.
i have either 5 or 6 bolts. one of the bolt holes was oblonged and almost worn away. the others were ok. the rear plate was bent and the flange with the bolt holes on the axle was bent.
when my plate turned, it pulled the brake wire away from the rear axle. i had considerably less braking power.
they are easy to check, just pull up on each with a wrench (from the back...don't need to remove drum), they shouldn't move. never thought to make that part of my check because i have never had that happen before.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #6

I know nothing about it but it doesn't look good! What caused it?

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
I know nothing about it but it doesn't look good! What caused it?
on picture #1 the back of the wheel that holds the brake assembly should be bolted to the flange part of the axle. the last picture shows the axle with the flange welded to it and the bolt holes..

the bolts came loose and fell out of that attachment. the first time the brakes grabbed, that part turned with the tire making the noise.

the bolts are inserted from the back (on mine). the nuts would have gotten loose and caused damage.

my guess is that the factory did not torque them when the brake assemblies were attached to the axle.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #8

Thanks for the explanation! I hope the repairs are completed in time for your trip. IMO, they should eat the cost of air freight.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #9

Jimh no nuts found --made me go hmmm .. - Karen hopefully they will pay for it , but I head out Friday so I am am not holding out though I will call in the AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreddy View Post
Jimh no nuts found --made me go hmmm .. - Karen hopefully they will pay for it , but I head out Friday so I am am not holding out though I will call in the AM.
makes me wonder if ur bolts were inserted from the inside and the nuts on the outside. that may explain why so much damage.
mine the nuts were on the inside and i didn't find any of them either. the only thing left was one bolt that had been pushed somewhat sideways and ground down so much i thought it was part of the bolt hole. (was hardly distinguishable from the hole. the rotation of the plate did that.

urs and mine are the only ones i have ever heard of doing that. someone in the business has probably seen it before though. that fine thread nut and bolt shouldn't do that.
mine happened in aug last year. sense i had pumped grease in there just before the trip, i thought i had gotten grease in the drum area.
when i got home was looking under there and notice the wire cut first. then found the back plate free.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #11

I would pay for the airfreight if you need it that fast. it`s only fair.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreddy View Post
NO kidding .. The warranty clerk said the wheel was held on by a cotter pin and wishful thinking for the last trip back
Come to think of it, the cotter pin holds the spindle nut in place, which holds the drum and wheel in place, even if the backing plate (including the brake shoes) is mounted correctly.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #13

Still awaiting the costs for air freight... the scary things was that this caused only a slight noise only a couple of time pulling out of the CG - the hmm something doesn't sound right type - not something that sounded critical & I have to wonder if the cotter pin would have held if the hub jammed on the spindle bolt for any length of time or at highway speed. In the end though I am happy it was found before catastrophic damage occurred, as JimH said just something to add to the check list
Old 07-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #14

air freight would be a tough decision.
would think someone would have that in stock locally. may want to check with a trailer supply house and compare price of item with air freight.
if the axel isn't actually damaged, u may be able to buy the back plate w/brakes for less than $50. the drum i don't know but wouldn't think it would be that bad.
something to consider. u could do a temp fix on what u have then have the replacement axle installed once back.
if u choose that option, i would recover the new back plate and drum before letting the old axle go back.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
if the axel isn't actually damaged, u may be able to buy the back plate w/brakes for less than $50. the drum i don't know but wouldn't think it would be that bad.
By the looks of the pictures in post #1, that spindle is toast.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #16

im confused.. is this on the campers' electric brake.. or the truck? i need to make my husband check out ours now that i am freaked out... lol
gear ratio
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #17

Momtovn - this was on the rear axle of the camper (TT), adds about 30 seconds per wheel to check when doing the pre-trip visual.
As this is a warranty claim (TT has only been out a couple of time, still has the new smell even ) FR, Dexter and dealer need to replace all items. From what the dealer has been told Dexter does not even have on hand stock to send, they say they will have one completed for today or Wed for delivery.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #18

I was thinking the spindel looked good. My only concern was the flange and it looks like the bolt holes serviived. Flange may need streightning.
Even the area the seal rides on looks good ( unless there is a gouge on the under side.)
Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #19

All I can say is OMG !
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #20

i may have my terminology wrong, i'm referring the the shaft as the spindle and the bearing housing as part of the drum.
i would think u could replace the drum, bearings, seal, back plate, and bolts for abt $100.
the drum, i don't know the cost of. the back plate w/complete brake assemblies (just bolt to axle and attach wires) w/self adjusting brakes for a 16" is $58. self adj brakes added abt $5. even though urs are smaller, i would think the price would be close.

Tags
axle, dexter, surveyor