Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #1

I wired my RV like a washing machine and put 220vac to the input.

I know I'm a dumba@@. I just finished rewiring my whole house and decided to add an RV outlet for my 2010 29RLB Forest River 5th wheel. I looked at the plug and wired it like a washing machine receptacle. Is there anyone out there who can give me an idea of what kind of damage I might be looking at? For the moment it is parked and I live there on the property full time. I 'm pretty sure the converter is toast, along with the microwave and possibly the TV. Are there any web sites I can go to obtain schematics of the input wiring circuits?

Thanks
jeff6917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff6917 View Post
I know I'm a dumba@@. I just finished rewiring my whole house and decided to add an RV outlet for my 2010 29RLB Forest River 5th wheel. I looked at the plug and wired it like a washing machine receptacle. Is there anyone out there who can give me an idea of what kind of damage I might be looking at? For the moment it is parked and I live there on the property full time. I 'm pretty sure the converter is toast, along with the microwave and possibly the TV. Are there any web sites I can go to obtain schematics of the input wiring circuits?

Thanks
Sorry to hear, but your not the first.

I'd say if it doesn't work it's toast. Converter for sure and probably the 110V appliances. Very rarely is there ever wiring schematics for RVs.

Also your question more aptly should be posted in the General Tech and Repairs section of the forum.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #3

I though so but needed to check first, thank You for the reply.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #4

Washing machine receptacle ?

Washing machines are 110-120 volt. Dryer are 220 volt.

Don't you mean you wirered it like a Dryer? 220 volt?
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #5

Yes i meant Dryer and once i posted it would not let me edit the thread.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #6

Ouch. I would do some serious research and consult with some RV wiring experts before replacing the appliances. Assuming that all the wiring and breakers are still good, you have something to start with. I worry that you invest in all new appliances and some wire bundle buried in a wall is half melted and you get a fire in a few months.

Also I highly recommend that everyone use some sort of whole unit power protection. A surge/voltage protector should have tripped on the 220v and saved the everything (or if it didn't you probably have a warranty claim from the manufacture of the device)
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
Jan Goldfield

I started to do the same thing and then read about how dangerous it is. I was told that the RV could easily start smokin'. Not wanting that, I called an electrician.
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #8

Thread moved to General Tech & Repair.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #9

Jeff,
Sorry to her that.
I really don't know how much damage would have happened. It's possible only the Converter is damaged. You may want to get a RV repairman, with electrical experience, to have a look. Hopefully, it didn't do too much damage.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

How long was 220 volts on the trailer before breakers tripped? If they tripped immediately, you didn't melt any wiring, as some post have mentioned, we hope. Anything plugged in to an outlet and "on", may not work. If the refer was on AC, probably took it out. Furnace is DC only, usually.

I would get the power right, turn all breakers off in the trailer, hook up power, then turn them on one at a time, and test things. Unhook the battery, so you can see if the converter is outputting enough current. Test everything, one piece at a time, lights, furnace, refer, microwave, television, AC, water pump, stereo, and everything else. Repair/replace what doesn't work, one piece at a time, starting with the converter. Lat thing is to rune everything on DC with the converter, and if it all works, hook up the battery.
Hope you weren't planning on camping over the 4th.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
Knower of Some Things

Won't be too bad, in my experience. Your converter is likely toast, as is your microwave & TV, if the breakers didn't pop in time. Your air conditioner will be fine, as it was turned off at the time probably. Same thing for your refrigerator & water heater. Your 12 volt stuff is probably fine. I'll bet if you replace your converter & microwave, you'll be all good.
If you take a really close look at your wiring, you'll see that it's rated for at least 500 (more like 700+) volts. The wiring doesn't really care how much voltage you're pushing through it. It's much more sensitive to the amperage. With all the open circuits caused by fried & "off" appliances, there wasn't much amperage going through that wiring. No fear of melted wires, just the afforementioned converter, microwave, and TV.
Call your insurance company & tell them your coach was hit by a power surge. Technically, you'll be telling the truth...
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:31 AM   #12
Jas

move the camper away from the outlet if they want to "investigate". If they see a funny outlet near by the adjuster may start asking questions about what it's for and who installed it....
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote