Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 08:44 AM   #1

In-Line Water Filter

Want to install In-Line Water Filter but wanted to ask how others store it when not in use and not full-timing yet. Can I reuse them or need to replace every time??

Who went in the way before you, to search you out a place to pitch your tents in, in fire by night, to shew you by what way ye should go, and in a cloud by day.

Deuteronomy 1:33
auroraRNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #2
WFD

I place the filter cartridge in a Ziploc bag and keep it in the fridge when trailer is not being used. I removed the inline filter that came from manufacturer as they are known to be troublesome, and use one on the outside instead.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #3

They sell caps that cover the open end. I use them and replace once a year unless we camp more. If we camp with city water all year, then once. If at a lot of camp grounds with well water, then maybe a couple times a year. Also have one inside that is once a year at the start of the year.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #4

We store ours in a designated fresh water bucket along with the other related items. Such as hose, flow meter, pressure regulator etc. Also we use the Camco filters and they last about 6 months, but depends on the water source and how much it traps.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
'17 Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB
68 Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #5

Camco sold at Walmart. Comes with caps. Save the an put them back on when removed. No need for special storage. I'm seasonal so I replace mine once a year.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #6

My Camco water filters included rubber plugs that I reuse during storage. Before using the water filter attach to the hose or spigot and allow water to flow through before connecting to the camper. This helps flush any loose carbon out. When I am preparing to store the water filter I first try to ensure that I shake the majority of the water out of it then I install the included rubber plugs on each end and place it in a baggie for storage in the camper with the rest of my fresh water equipment.

C

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate,
B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing, U.S. Army Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
Professional Curmudgeon

Storing the filter at room temperature or above will allow microbes to grow inside the filter. Once filled with water, the filter should be stored in a refrigerator.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:53 AM   #8

Umm..good point guys. Guess I'll have start shaking and shift the bacon and beer around to make room.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB
Old 08-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Storing the filter at room temperature or above will allow microbes to grow inside the filter. Once filled with water, the filter should be stored in a refrigerator.
Yep, good point. I'm not a full timer so I will need to add this to my checklist for when I return home to place the filter in the fridge and remove it on the next trip. They are a little too expensive to just toss after each use.

What is the process for the water filters built into the RV I wonder?

Guess I should give this item more thought...

C

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate,
B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing, U.S. Army Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #10

Another option is to just not use any filter at all.

We used to think a filter would be beneficial and tried several methods. Under sink, external, cheap throw away, permanent residential type, several stages. Finally determined they were all more troublesome than they were worth.

They are expensive, can decrease water flow rate, and can actually make you sick if not maintained correctly. And in general they are just a PITA and one more thing to have to do.

So now, we are much happier not dealing with any water filters. We, as most of our RV group, use our fresh water tank mainly for bathing, washing dishes, and toilet. Use bottled water for drinking and coffee.

But this water usage option is just what works best for us, developed over decades of RVing across the country. Everybody has to determine what methods work best for them.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:55 AM   #11

Well put NMWildcat. I didn't mention that we also just use the fresh water tank for the same purposes and drink bottled water and cook with water we have put in jugs.We get that from various sources. We use one filter to take care of the water coming in the RV to help reduce the junk building up in the tank, water heater, etc.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB

Tags
water, water filter