Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #1

Installing a Television Wall Mount

I installed two wall mounts for TVs, one in the bedroom for a 17" TV and one in the living area on the wall behind the dinette for a 29" TV. I purchased a model that allows me to remove the TV during transport, since it is a TT and not a MH the ride will be quite a bit rougher. The ones I got were a Ematic EMW3301 from Walmart.com for $17.98+ tax. That model will handle most TV from 13" to 37". One would assume that the little label on the wall that says "TV wall mount" would be centered on the backer board. Wrong! I found that the labels in my TT were near the top edge of the backer board after I drilled about an inch above the label and didn't hit anything. I suggest that you get the smallest drill bit you can find and drill a test pilot hole in case you don't hit the backer board it would be easier to cover up. Since the walls on a TT are thinner than in a S&B don't use the lag screws that are provided. They were 2 1/2" long! I believe the backer board is only 1/2" thick so get lag screws that are threaded all the way to the head. I purchased 1 1/4" lag screws which should be about 1/2" shorter than the wall thickness. Probably could have used even shorter screws with no problem. Nice easy project without a lot of cost.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

Where can I find out the exact size, thickness and location of the TV backer block in my 2015 Wildcat front bedroom? Thanks for any info.
Sydvero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydvero View Post
Where can I find out the exact size, thickness and location of the TV backer block in my 2015 Wildcat front bedroom? Thanks for any info.
There was a yellow sticker showing on my 2011 Sterling but if you don't have the sticker use a stud finder. Make sure you have the screw template and use that as a guide. From what I can tell the backer is not very big.

I have a corner cabinet and wanted a larger TV than the blocker/mounting bracket will allow so I just use the regular TV stand and take it down before decamping.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, television