Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

Post installing second A/C in Forest River Sierra fifth Wheeler

Hi All really need some assistance as we are getting so many numbers with regards to install of second AC unit. Our coach is pre-wired and has a two zone thermostat already in the unit. Forest River says they have an AC there for us but they move so slowly and my coach is at a camping world right now for this service and yes I know camping world but it's really our only choice due to the unit being there anyway from blowout damage. Camping world says the bill will be over $1500 with the AC. They have to do wiring, more man power involved due to this issue and install a new thermostat. Now forest river says no this is just a plug into the brains install and the thermostat we have is already a two zone. It's driving us insane. This is a forest river sierra fifth wheeler. 43 feet. If anyone has had this work done before and can please comment about what was involved and pricing I would be thankful.
snickers0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
Site Team

If Forest River said that it's already prepped for a second A/C and all the wiring is in place, I'd take that correspondence to the service manager at the service center and show it to him. Make him explain why the people that built the unit are wrong.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If Forest River said that it's already prepped for a second A/C and all the wiring is in place, I'd take that correspondence to the service manager at the service center and show it to him. Make him explain why the people that built the unit are wrong.
Thanks we did that and they are saying they need more information from Forest River. It's just a mess. Forest River has the unit ready to ship and we need the unit done for future camping tis the season and all that. Camping World doesn't want to take Forest River's word for it. Maybe it's the money issue. If Camping World does what they say or say they are doing it that way it's a price difference of over $1000. Go Figure thanks for the info
snickers0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #4

We just had a second a.c. installed in our cedar creek 5th wheel this week. It took the 2 hours they took out the vent and dropped in the a.c. our unit was pre wired simply hooked to dual thermostat. Total bill $1600.
BPD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #5

second air for fifth

not a fifth wheel but had second unit added to TT, prewired for second unit. cost was 980.00 this was at southern rv in McDonough ga
bgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #6

Not to go into a long story, I have a 2016 Sierra 377 FLIK and have been having intermittent problems with having 2 AC's on a dual thermostat. It is all related to the telephone wire hookup that Dometic uses to control the AC's and furnace. I finally had the rear AC separated from the front. It was the best decision I have made concerning the AC's. This is just a heads up. You may want to just have the second AC with its thermostat built into the cover. If one ac stops at least you have the other one that will run. BTW I really enjoy the 5th wheel. No major problems. Love all the room and especially the auto leveling(a must have)!
Semi-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #7

Camping World is going to rip you off. I installed a 2nd 15K Dometic AC unit in our fiver this spring for around $750.00 total. Our fiver was not wired for the 2nd unit. Purchase a new Dometic AC and ceiling controls on Ebay for $549.00, free shipping and no tax. Came with the same two year warranty as the one from Camping World and Dometic offered an additional 3 yrs. warranty for a small fee. The installation is so easy, a blind man could do it. If your trailer is prewired for the unit, then you do not require additional wiring, it just plugs into the AC unit.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:59 PM   #8

Mine is being done now at Camping world. New 13.5 AC from camping world (on sale right now) $614 (low profile unit), internal plenum cover was around $130 and two hours labor. All in just under $1000. Prewired for second AC doesn't take that much. Wiring is all there, you just lose your front bedroom ceiling vent because that's where the AC goes.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #9

We have a travel trailer with 50amp and was pre wired for 2nd A/C. We had a 13,500 Dometic put in which is not tied into the ducted unit. It ran us with tax $1,060. This was in Texas so not sure if areas vary a lot on these prices. Doing it ourselves was not an option since my husband is not able to get on the roof due to a disability.
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, forest river, sierra, wheel