Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #1

Installing slide out outside storage door

We have a Coachman 248 RBS.
Inside we have a very large bench seat across the side of the slide beneath the windows. It has sliding panels for storage under the bench.

My question is this, has anyone here ever installed outside access door to that area. It seems pretty straight forward and simple to do as long a I would maintain the structural integrity of the outer wall with proper bracing.

Any thoughts

Thanks Greg
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers302 View Post
We have a Coachman 248 RBS.
Inside we have a very large bench seat across the side of the slide beneath the windows. It has sliding panels for storage under the bench.

My question is this, has anyone here ever installed outside access door to that area. It seems pretty straight forward and simple to do as long a I would maintain the structural integrity of the outer wall with proper bracing.

Any thoughts

Thanks Greg
My MicroLite 25BDS came with the exact door you described as wanting.

Here's a picture that shows it's location in the slide:

Adding one could present some issues with internal wall supports as the door is most likely wider than the spacing between "studs" which I believe are aluminum in the walls. If you do decide to add one, it might be possible to purchase a frame with door installed from Forest River so it would just be a matter of laying out the location for the hole and cutting the opening with a Roto-Zip or Drywall receptacle/door cutout tool. If I recall correctly since the last time I looked, the door frames are merely glued in with a stout urethane adhesive (similar to what is used to hold windshields in place).

Something else to consider is the wall thickness and it's insulation, versus the thickness of a door and it's lack of any meaningful insulation.

I am going to have to add insulation to all the doors they installed on my trailer to cut the heat loss as I like to use my trailer in late fall/early winter and late winter/early spring. Especially the door to the Outside Kitchen.

Good news is that I merely have to take the time to cut/fit some foam panels cut from relatively inexpensive sheets purchased from Home Depot or Lowes.

I have a total of 6 doors around my trailer, all about 3/4" thick and the walls are at least twice that. I actually have more insulation loss, as measured by square feet, from doors than windows.

BTW, the other, tall and narrow, door in slide is to access area behind the closet that is included in my slide. I use it to store flagpole, camp axe, rolled tarp(s) and other long items.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
My MicroLite 25BDS came with the exact door you described as wanting.

Here's a picture that shows it's location in the slide:

Adding one could present some issues with internal wall supports as the door is most likely wider than the spacing between "studs" which I believe are aluminum in the walls. If you do decide to add one, it might be possible to purchase a frame with door installed from Forest River so it would just be a matter of laying out the location for the hole and cutting the opening with a Roto-Zip or Drywall receptacle/door cutout tool. If I recall correctly since the last time I looked, the door frames are merely glued in with a stout urethane adhesive (similar to what is used to hold windshields in place).

Something else to consider is the wall thickness and it's insulation, versus the thickness of a door and it's lack of any meaningful insulation.

I am going to have to add insulation to all the doors they installed on my trailer to cut the heat loss as I like to use my trailer in late fall/early winter and late winter/early spring. Especially the door to the Outside Kitchen.

Good news is that I merely have to take the time to cut/fit some foam panels cut from relatively inexpensive sheets purchased from Home Depot or Lowes.

I have a total of 6 doors around my trailer, all about 3/4" thick and the walls are at least twice that. I actually have more insulation loss, as measured by square feet, from doors than windows.

BTW, the other, tall and narrow, door in slide is to access area behind the closet that is included in my slide. I use it to store flagpole, camp axe, rolled tarp(s) and other long items.

Thank you for your reply. I will be contacting Coachman/FR about the possibility. Thanks again.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, slide, slide out, storage