Old 08-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

OK, a couple of things.

The Coleman Gas Lantern should not be used inside the camper. Not only is filling it dangerous, (I have some pictures of a travel trailer burned to the frame due to fueling a coleman latern inside the camper) but the carbon monoxide is odorless and poisonous. The camper is much better sealed than a tent or popup. Opening a window will vent more heat than the lantern produces in any case.

Another issue is the battery. Not sure what the amp hour capacity is on your unit (the one shipped with my camper is a Deka DC-24 rated at 75 amp hours), but there are several very good discussions here about battery capacity and usage.

Running the furnace is one of the biggest 12 volt draws in the camper.
The blower will deplete the cheap deep discharge battery they install pretty darn quick.

It can take a day or two, not hours, to replace that charge.

I think you will be running that generator a lot longer than you think, so
bring lots of gas for it.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #12

herk, I think i misled you on the lantern thing. i won't be using that in this camper so just pointing out that that kept us warm enough in the other camper at night till we turned it off. So we should be fine.

The generator thing though. I am starting to wonder on that. So I should go get a much better grade battery? Do you think I will end up struggling? I mean if I stayed in the popup with no power at all,no heat,no fridge I would think we can handle this comfortably. It can't be a downgrade.

Sam and Tonya

Equal-I-zer
samsc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsc03 View Post
So I should go get a much better grade battery? Do you think I will end up struggling? I mean if I stayed in the popup with no power at all,no heat,no fridge I would think we can handle this comfortably. It can't be a downgrade. Sam and Tonya
Well guys, I think you will be ok if you understand what is going on with the battery. When dry camping you should run the generator during the day to replace what you use at night. If you are very frugal with power use you should be able to run the generator for only 4-6 hours to charge up the battery enough to get you through the night.

Find out the power draw on your furnace in amps. Find out the amp hours on your battery and use the formula below.

Deep cycle batteries are often rated in Amp/Hours. Amp/Hour rating of battery capacity is calculated by multiplying the current (in amperes) by time (in hours) the current is drawn. For example: A battery which can deliver 4 amperes for 20 hours before being discharged would have a 80 amp-hour battery rating (4 X 20= 80).

Search the forum for TM-2025 and you will find a long thread on battery management.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #14
Villa Estate 392FLFB

I will be on shore power and water this winter still. going to insulate under the grey and black tanks, just dump rv antifreeze in the fresh tank since it wont be used, and use heat tapes. I am also going to put my trailer on blocks and skirt it to before the freezing temperatures of canada set in lol