Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #1

Interior Trim & Wood Finish

Not sure where to post this as there isn't an Interior group.

Our new to us park model has been great, other than the quality of the trim and wood work inside, which some of it seems to be cheap wrapped partical board.

Last weekend it was rather cold and we had turned on the electric fireplace to try out, and ended up putting the furnace on. In the rush to pack up last Sunday evening, we didn't notice that the fireplace was still on, but at the lowest possible setting. With the temperatures cooler, it was generating a little heat, nothing excessive, but we noticed that "fake wood" framework it's mounded in, had the paper foil like wood finish bubble up and came unglued.

This is somewhat disheartening given our Salem model was supposed to be top of the line or so we were told. Our last trailer which was R-Vision brand, at least had all real wood fronts to everything.

Anyone have this happen, and how did you fix it?
Old 10-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #2

We have the same type of "wood" (ha!!!) trim surronding the slide outs, even on an "upper level" Lexington 283ts. It's basically an "engineered" wood product with a vinyl overlay.
No way to repair it to look original. What I'm looking to do is replace it with real wood trim, stained in cherry to match the rest of the interior. It's on my to do list over the winter. It's not expensive to do and you may end up with something that looks much, much better than the original.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #3

My back-up plan is to eventually redo it in real wood but that means rebuilding the entire entertainment unit and shelves. There is some loosening in the bathroom area as well, so I suspect at some point I will be making a lot of the same trim pieces for throughout the trailer ... kinda sucks that they cheaped out here.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #4

are all the staple heads showing with smears of putty all overthe like ours?
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #5

My last 2 trailers, an Alumascape and a Flagstaff have all been engineered wood with vinyl overlay. I went looking for real wood in a trailer and couldn't find it in anything less than a $100,000 5th wheel (10years ago). It is a real problem if there is any moisture problems in the trailer. On one occasion, we had milk spill in the fridge, running down to the floor, it caused the 'wood' trim at the floor to swell which in turn caused the vinyl to split. Even washing the floor, take care not to use excessive water where the 'wood' trim meets the floor.
hollywood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #6

I find it so sad that we as consumers continue to spend as much money as we do on this kind of crap.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:42 PM   #7
Jeffco, MO

Check the slide wood trim on a Cedar Creek. Check the factory and see what wood is being used.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:33 AM   #8

Its all cardboard
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #9

I refer to it as (PLOOD)= Paper covering Wood! The OP unit is a 2008. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #10

I refer to it as cr-p. I really think FR and other manufacturers have all their employees save the cardboard tubes that are at the end of toilet paper rolls. When enough are accumulated they make all the trim by breaking down the cardboard, pressing it into a form, and then covering it in a vinyl overlay they probably get at a discount through Wal Mart.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
I refer to it as cr-p. I really think FR and other manufacturers have all their employees save the cardboard tubes that are at the end of toilet paper rolls. When enough are accumulated they make all the trim by breaking down the cardboard, pressing it into a form, and then covering it in a vinyl overlay they probably get at a discount through Wal Mart.
Grumpy
Now that is funny....

I do not even think the Cedar Creeks use real wood anymore. But, this is what "we" want.. A low price point 5er that I can pull with my Prius Hybrid...

Wait.... What... That will not work?? What do you mean, the salesman said I could tow that!!!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Using solid wood leads to many problems!

1. Weight
2. Cost
3. Moisture

In a normal home you have solid wood framing to nail solid wood trim to the walls. In mobile homes and RVs you have composite walls that will not hold nails or screws, so solid wood trim would just warp under the moisture changes and pull free.

The engineered products are more stable to moisture changes unless they are soaked with water.

The best option for quality wood work in a RV would be real wood veneer on a non-wood fiber base/structure.

I was thinking about building a custom RV and found a great product for interior wood work. It was a composite product made from carbon fiber and looked like cardboard. I found some info on applying wood veneer to it, but in the end it was really expensive!

Even on those million dollar motor coaches they use engineered composite wood bases with plastic laminate veneers that look like wood.

To me it is funny to see these expensive MC with Formica interiors! The same people would not have it in their homes?

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #13

[QUOTE=elundquist;1015755]Using solid wood leads to many problems!

1. Weight
2. Cost
3. Moisture

In a normal home you have solid wood framing to nail solid wood trim to the walls. In mobile homes and RVs you have composite walls that will not hold nails or screws, so solid wood trim would just warp under the moisture changes and pull free.

The engineered products are more stable to moisture changes unless they are soaked with water.

The best option for quality wood work in a RV would be real wood veneer on a non-wood fiber base/structure.

I was thinking about building a custom RV and found a great product for interior wood work. It was a composite product made from carbon fiber and looked like cardboard. I found some info on applying wood veneer to it, but in the end it was really expensive!

The only response I have for this is that when I built our custom W 900 Kenworth MH in 1976 I took the compleated chassis cab over to a shop in Napenee In. that would build custom coaches,horse trailer LQ's , and the like.The cabinet work was all either solid , real wood ,or cabinet grade plywood. Our 2009 Merhow LQ horse trailer is also solid,real oak,except for cabinet grade oak veneer plywood for drawer bottoms.Both of these units are just as nice today as when they were built. The only cardboard used*was what they put dow on the floor when they were building it.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #14

Has anyone bought replacement wood from Coachman or a dealer? We have the same problem at the bottom of our 2013 Apex 249RBS entertainment center. This appears to be cause by a plumbing leak in our kitchen slide which has been repaired.

I am considering replacing with real wood but am not sure I can match the stain.

Thanks
oldcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:36 AM   #15

I have had a couple pieces of the trim on the kitchen slide come loose. After pulling the staples and brads that FR used I tried to use longer brads, no luck they would not hold. I used construction adhesive and held the trim in place for 24 hours with the adjustable cargo bars from my truck. That was several months ago. I filled the brad and staple holes with a dark scratch repair pencil I got from the Home Depot paint department, much closer match than the putty FR used.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 12:42 PM   #16

Wood Interior Vent Covers

I have a 2015 Wildwood 272QBXL and I am looking for replacements of the wood Engineered vent covers below the refridgerator. Anyone know where I can purchase those online???
momto3beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 02:30 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3beez View Post
I have a 2015 Wildwood 272QBXL and I am looking for replacements of the wood Engineered vent covers below the refridgerator. Anyone know where I can purchase those online???
You reawoke a nearly 10 year old thread.
You'd be better off sending a PM to the member you are asking.
Or contacting Wildwood.
Or posting pics of what you're asking about.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:14 AM   #18

Angry

We have a 22 Cottage 40CDL. Same issues. Had a water heater leak that we discovered one day when bathroom floor was wet. Fixed that day. Now our vanity Is crumbling from the cheap wood product falling apart. Also have mouldings falling off. Not what we expected for spending near 100k
Scott Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 01:14 PM   #19

Go to any urban area or outlying "artsy" suburb area of same, and you'll find lots of newly constructed townhouses and condos. Around here for anywhere between $375K to upwards of $800K, for around 1500 sq ft, what do you get? MDF trim, hollow Masonite doors, and out of a box put together "engineered wood" cabinets. You may luck out and get some wholesale granite tops with plumbing fixtures they get by the 40' container load on a slow boat from China. Welcome to 2024.
FlagstaffBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 12:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You reawoke a nearly 10 year old thread.
You'd be better off sending a PM to the member you are asking.
Or contacting Wildwood.
Or posting pics of what you're asking about.

Rip Van Winkle thread!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote