Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #1

Intermittent Tongue Jack

Hello...we have a 2017 Grey Wolf 23MK and this year we started to have intermittent issues with the front tongue jack. From time to time the jack won't work in the up or down direction, but then will start working. This is true if I am running off the battery, connected to the tow vehicle or connected to campsite power. The front light on the jack works. I was told by a co-worker and they had a similar issue and it was related to a thermal bypass for the front tongue jack. Has anyone had similar issues and heard of this solution?

(I didn't think the jack had a thermal bypass and just had the base 30AMP fuse?)

Thanks.
Thumper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #2

If it's intermittent it's not likely the fuse.... If the fuse is bad, it would not work at all.

First thing that I would check are the wires/connections going from the Tongue jack to the battery. Make sure they are tight and clean...
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Have you pulled the switch and checked the connections? I have not heard of a thermal bypass you could find out by following the wires to the battery and removing the head cover for the jack.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
Site Team

Sometimes the problem comes from a bad ground - which on an electric tongue jack is through the bolts that attach it to the trailer tongue/frame. Some here have loosened and re-tightened those bolts one at a time.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #5

The problem is most likely a tarnished contact in the switch. Switching it off and on will sometimes provide temporary fix but will most likely need to replace the switch.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
RY3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper42 View Post
Hello...we have a 2017 Grey Wolf 23MK and this year we started to have intermittent issues with the front tongue jack. From time to time the jack won't work in the up or down direction, but then will start working. This is true if I am running off the battery, connected to the tow vehicle or connected to campsite power. The front light on the jack works. I was told by a co-worker and they had a similar issue and it was related to a thermal bypass for the front tongue jack. Has anyone had similar issues and heard of this solution?

(I didn't think the jack had a thermal bypass and just had the base 30AMP fuse?)

Thanks.

I had intermittent problems with my front jack. It end up being the fuse holder. I could wiggle fuse and it would work. I just changed the fuse holder and installed new fuse.
RY3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Sometimes the problem comes from a bad ground - which on an electric tongue jack is through the bolts that attach it to the trailer tongue/frame. Some here have loosened and re-tightened those bolts one at a time.
This would be the first suspect. ^^^

Had the same thing happen to use when we first got our TT new. Took it to the dealer and all they did was tighten the mounting screws. I could have done tha, pffftt... The are serrated washers that bite into the metal on the jack and A-frame.

BTW, 99.9% of all electrical problems are due to bad grounds.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
BTW, 99.9% of all electrical problems are due to bad grounds.
I've been looking in all the wrong places! Instead of looking at the ground (what does bad ground look like?), I have been looking in the air to see if the magic smoke had been let out.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
I've been looking in all the wrong places! Instead of looking at the ground (what does bad ground look like?), I have been looking in the air to see if the magic smoke had been let out.
Sometimes that smoke isn't visible, that's one reason it's called Magic.

Lot's of time you can smell it long before you see it.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #10

I had an issue with my jack and traced it down to the the wire lug on the battery. Mine was set up to be wire through an in-line fuse directly to the positive terminal of the battery. After measuring the voltage to the wire while the jack switch was activated, the voltage was 5 VDC. With no load, it was 12.7. I first cut off the lug and connected the wire directly to the battery and the jack worked fine. I crimped on a new lug and things are working just fine.
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:00 PM   #11
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
If it's intermittent it's not likely the fuse.... If the fuse is bad, it would not work at all. [...]
Prior to today, I'd have agreed with you.

My 18 month old factory jack was suddenly nonfunctional. Made one little turn of the gears and then nothing. The LEDs on the jack would work.

I took it all apart. Gears were fine. Was getting 12 vdc through to the inside and through the polyfuse/mini circuit breaker. Got great ground and continuity through the mounting bolts. So, I was certain it was the switch.

However, I noticed something strange. I would get 12 vdc to the hot side of the switch. But, when I toggled it up or down, it would drop to 0 vdc and the LED light would go off -- release the switch, 12 vdc returns, LED light turns back on. Somehow, operating the jack switch killed 12 vdc.

The 30 amp inline fuse looked fine and, as evidenced by the LED light, was able to pass through some juice. Still, I grabbed an old 30 amp auto buss fuse (ever so slightly longer) and put it in the fuse holder.

Everything works great. Maybe this is some property of the slow-blow fuse in there from the factory?

I hate electrical issues. None of it ever makes sense.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #12

as I said, check the lug on battery. Measure Voltage on WIRE while depressing the switch. Voltage drop measurement without the load tells nothing. If you are still getting full battery voltage with load, follow wire to next connection until you find the problem.
You must measure with switch on.
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
Dbpprcp

I had the same problem on my 23BDS. Bad fuse holder. Water ran down the wire and rusted out the spring in the holder. Bad design. I replaced he entire fuse holder with a sealed one.
Dbpprcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
However, I noticed something strange. I would get 12 vdc to the hot side of the switch. But, when I toggled it up or down, it would drop to 0 vdc and the LED light would go off -- release the switch, 12 vdc returns, LED light turns back on. Somehow, operating the jack switch killed 12 vdc.
Classic resistive connection behavior. You had resistance between the power source and the switch which you somehow solved.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post

Rust where the jack and tongue join is a good sign.

Tongue jacks are SUPPOSED to be watertight but in reality they aren't. Good chance the switch has had some moisture enter it and caused it to become intermittent.

I cover my tongue jack when not using the trailer. A simple cover consisting of an empty 5 gallon paint bucket shields it from direct rain. For a more "classy look" waterproof covers are sold on Amazon for $10 and less.

While you're at it, bungee cord the trailer 7-pin connector to the Jack post and cover the connector at the same time. Cure two potential problems at once.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #16

I bought one of these to keep the weather off my jack.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #17
Benchdog

I had to go through and crimp all of the battery connections both the positive and negative where they used eyelets. Some were lose enough I could actually work them out.

2019 Grey Wolf
20RDSE
2019 Tundra

"Enjoying Family and Life"
benchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #18

My jack will not work at all. Have tried the connections but no good. Replaced the blown fuse but no good. Light works fine. Mine is covered with a waterproof cover so it is not wet. No noise no nothing.
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote