Old 07-22-2016, 01:44 AM   #1
The Texas Traveller

Inverter Generator Concern

After much research, I recently purchased a Champion 3100 watt inverter generator to use with my new Rockwood. So far I'm very happy with the unit, but one thing does worry me. The manual says to shut the unit down by turning off the fuel valve to starve the carb of gas. When I do this, the engine surges wildly several times before finally stopping and the power output light turning off. My concern is will the same thing happen if it runs out of gas while powering my trailer and could the surging cause damage to the air conditioner? Of course there was no load when I intentionally shut the generator off, would the heavy load of the A/C prevent all the surging? I'm leery of trying this myself, I like to avoid short-cycling the compressor!
Thanks ahead for any input.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:26 PM   #2

I would not allow the generator to run with a load on it while starving it of fuel.

If you are just shutting it down for the night, there is no harm in turning the switch off with load off and restarting it whenever you needed it again.

My auto transfer switch disconnects the generator when voltage drops a little. That, coupled with a 30 second time delay, allows the generator to run out of fuel safely without a load attached to it.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:35 PM   #3

You could just install a PI EMS that would auto take care of a "Sudden Shutdown" or if you just want to Stop the Gen turn off the A/C before the Gen! Youroo!! DavidBo,do you run a "Edison Plug in your Champion"? Have you checked for a "Floating Netural"?
Old 07-23-2016, 01:45 AM   #4
The Texas Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I would not allow the generator to run with a load on it while starving it of fuel.

If you are just shutting it down for the night, there is no harm in turning the switch off with load off and restarting it whenever you needed it again.

My auto transfer switch disconnects the generator when voltage drops a little. That, coupled with a 30 second time delay, allows the generator to run out of fuel safely without a load attached to it.
I guess I should clarify: I'll certainly shed all loads before intentionally shutting the genset off, I'm worried about the small gas tank/short run time of the Champion and the unit running out of fuel before I can refill it.
I do have an EMS, but I read they usually aren't necessary on an inverter genny. I might get an Edison plug (or make one) and just play it safe.
Thanks for the responses!
Old 07-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #5

In theory, as the genny starts to sputter it will drop rpm's and with a load on it the load would kill the genny before it had a chance to surge back up to speed. Especially if in Eco mode. Same thing with the EMS- sputtering would cause voltage to drop killing power to unit and activating the 15 sec/2 min delay.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #6

the make extended run gas kits for generators I have Yamaha's that you can put that option on.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:07 AM   #7

Another member posted this great link for adding the extended run tank:

Extend gen/inverter run time

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

When I bought the new boliy gen I had them install the extend kit was lest than $100. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
The Texas Traveller

An extended run mod is first on my list, just trying to find the best technique. I'm already looking for a way to tap the intake for a pulse signal that won't void my warranty.
You're probably right about a high load preventing surging when running out of gas, now that I think about it that's how my ratty old contractor generator acted.
Thanks again for the responses!

Tags
generator, inverter