Old 09-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #1

Inverter problems

I have a 2018 vibe 306BHS. Has anyone had problems with their inverter?? Mine is coming up with a E 04 fault. Iíve checked all connections and can not find anything.

Thanks for help

modified52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

What make/model of inverter do you have?

Have you checked the charge/voltage on the batteries themselves?

Old 09-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
What make/model of inverter do you have?

Have you checked the charge/voltage on the batteries themselves?
I have not checked the battery. The inverter is a WFCO 1000 watt sine wave inverter. Model wf5110 hp
Old 09-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #4

Every mfr has their own "Error Codes" and you'll need to reference theirs to know what it's telling you. I've found charts in most owner's manuals.

Found this online:

Quote:
E04 – Internal Bus Voltage is Low
Disconnect the RV from 120 VAC. Push the front panel ON/OFF Power
Pushbutton to the OFF position. Because the inverter has a rear panel mounted circuit
breaker, the output AC wires at the rear panel will have to be safely removed. Remove
the Negative (White) wire from the DC input blocks on the rear panel. Wait
approximately 10 minutes, then reconnect the Negative wire to the DC block. Turn the
inverter ON.
1. If the E04 code is still displayed, the battery could be defective. Check the battery
for problems.
2. If the E04 code disappears, reconnect the output AC wires. If the code reappears,
there is a problem with the circuit between the inverter and the load.
3. If the E04 code is still displayed, there is an internal failure. Replace the inverter.
My guess is that you might have an issue with 12V supply side wire size which is common. As load increases on the 120 volt side, current increases on the 12 volt side tens times.

12 Volt supply side wires should be enough to provide a MINIMUM of 85 amps, even better 100 amp for peak load. They also have to be large enough to minimize voltage drop.

Here's an easy to use wire size calculator online.

https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html

Using a TOTAL wire length (to and from battery to inverter) of 20' (10 ft each way) the wire size should be #2 Awg and that size will allow only a 2% voltage drop.

If you measure both the distance from your batteries to inverter and wire size you can enter both in the calculator and the RH Column will show whether wire is adequate by showing max length. You should run both positive and negative wires from batteries to inverter but often chassis ground is used for the Negative. In that case you only need to measure the total length of positive wire and negative wires running to chassis. Chassis grounds have been reported to cause problems so both positive and negative wires to inverter are probably best.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #5

Thank you for your help!!!

Tags
inverter