Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #1

Exclamation Issues getting RV fixed by dealer HELP!

I hope I have posted this in the right section of the forums. I apologize for the length of this post.

We purchased a brand new 2011 T-829RLQS Palomino RV in May 2012. This was our first travel trailer we have ever purchased and were very excited and looked around at many RV dealerships before falling in love with the look of the trailer we purchased. We also purchased Extended Warranty with our trailer so that if anything happened it would be covered for some time- thinking this was the smartest thing to do. From day 1 we have had issues with our trailer.

• Problem #1: Within 5 days of owning the trailer we noticed there was water leaking through our bedroom slide. We called our dealership and was told by their service department that it was completely normal and there was nothing they could do to fix it. We purchased RV caulking and re-caulked the exterior of the trailer on top of the slide and the problem was fixed. Some time later we noticed there was black mold on our curtain due to this issue.
• Problem #2: While we were doing the walkthrough of our trailer when we were picking it up from the dealership the door stop on the outside of the trailer that prevents it from slamming into the awning fell off the trailer. A very inexperienced employee at the dealership screwed it back onto the door and we assumed it was fixed. Within a week it fell off again.
• Problem #3: Also while we were doing the walkthrough at the dealer, the automatic hitch would not work unless the trailer was plugged into an outlet. It would not run off of the battery. The dealership tried to fix it and then determined that the wiring was loose inside of the electrical compartment and told us that if we had any issues to just “wiggle the wires around” until it would work.
• Problem #4: The hot water in our trailer never worked properly. One day it would work and the next day it would be freezing cold.
• Problem #5: Slowly over the 5 months we had the trailer in our possession we noticed that the floor in the bathroom was getting “soft”. Every time we walked across the floor it would have a sinking feeling. We knew this wasn’t right but it was already September by the time it got bad enough to actually take it in to our dealership. Also at this time since this was the first trailer we ever owned- when it came time to wrap it up for the season we called a reputable RV Repair company where we were living to make sure we did everything correctly and had him explain everything to us. The first time he stepped into the trailer he said “There is something wrong with your floor and you should get it looked at”. We had already called to book the appointment to have all of the above issues dealt with even though we really didn’t want to take it back to that dealership to begin with.
• Problem #6: It has been over 8 months since we dropped off our trailer at the dealership. In this time they have called us twice- once was a requested phone call when I had left a message when no one was available to talk to me and the other was on April 24th when they called to tell us that the trailer was fixed and ready to be picked up. They called Matthew and he said “The floor is fixed?” and they replied “No, we can’t fix the floor under warranty but you can come and pick it up because it’s fixed”. No- It’s not fixed!

I then called the dealership again and spoke to the service manager. He told me the same thing “The trailer is fixed and ready to be picked up.” I again asked the same question to which he replied “No, the floor isn’t fixed but everything else is”. I asked him why the floor wasn’t fixed and he told me that he submitted it to Forest River to be covered under warranty and Forest River only approved 4 hours of work to fix it and that wasn’t enough to fix the problem with the floor. I asked him why and he had no answer for me other than that Forest River wouldn’t approve the repair.

After this I called and spoke to the owner of the dealership and told him that I was already talking with Forest River warranty department and they approved the only warranty claim that was sent in- that was for 4 hours. He was very rude with me and basically told me that it would get fixed when it got fixed even though the warranty department had already paid them to fully fix it to their knowledge.

Everything above happened 2 months ago at the end of April. The dealership again submitted warranty work to Forest River that was approved within 24 hours as per the Warranty Manager. Yet still to this day I can't get the dealership to tell me what is going on with my trailer or when it will be fixed. They have sent it off to someone else to get fixed and now I don't even know where my trailer is. I have left 4 messages for the Service Manager in the last week and he hasn't called me back once.

I need help! Does anyone know what I can do to get my trailer fixed?!?!
penguin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #2

Post on the Sabre Sam thread in the Palomino forum under 5th wheels and travel trailers. Better yet, PM him your issues, vin #, date of purchase and any other important info.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #3

And get your lawyer involved. Your dealer needs a wakeup call from him/her.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #4

I'm not a lawyer kinda guy, if you knew me you'd understand the urgency when I say get legal representation now; let a professional handle this dealer. Also, please post the dealers name and location so people here can avoid them.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #5

I had already been thinking about getting a lawyer involved but have been trying to avoid it just due to the hassle and added stress of the situation but I fear that this is the only way I can get this dealt with.

Thank you all for your responses.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear of all your issues. It does point out however, that an extended warranty at a crappy dealership isn't worth much...you really need another dealership!

SabreSam isn't the right person but he should be able to put you in contact with his counterpart in the Thoroughbred division.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
MI Camperz

Horrid! Shocking! Get FR involved and keep us posted!
Oh yeah, I agree...get a Lawyer! Also, did you finance? Maybe your bank would like to know where their trailer is and why it's rotting without repair!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #8

We did finance. I will contact the bank today to let them know and see if they can help. I emailed the lawyer this morning and also emailed the troubleshooters at the news stations in my area.

Surprisingly I just got a phone call from the dealership telling me that my trailer should be back at the dealer today or tomorrow and that it is fixed. I don't believe a word they say anymore though and am not sure if I trust that it is actually fixed properly.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin42 View Post
I don't believe a word they say anymore though and am not sure if I trust that it is actually fixed properly.
I can certainly understand that.

I have concerns with the trailer leaving the dealers facility (if it indeed did happen), especially if there is now damage to the trailer somewhere (which you need to inspect carefully for scrapes, dents, tires/wheel damage, and other things that may have occurred in transit to wherever). I would suggest even climbing on the roof to see if everything looks OK.

If it's been sitting there for 8 months, they may try to clean it up to make it appear better than it is. They may have even stooped to the point of pressure washing it, and could have easily damaged caulking/seams. Something else to visually inspect the best you can before taking possession.

It sounds like this dealer would easily try to pass the buck once you take possession of the trailer again, and say he isn't responsible for any damage incurred.

If they try to rush you in your inspection.......I would take this as a bad sign and slow down to look even harder. Digital cameras or phone cameras are your friends. You can take all kind of pics to document things you may see while the trailer is still at the dealership.......in case it does end up in litigation.

You may even want to record all your conversations from here on out, but will need to know your states laws covering this.

I hate to hear about this happening to you.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #10

We will be doing a very thorough inspection at the dealership if/when they tell me it is fixed again. As well as taking pictures etc.

Our trailer left the dealership when we bought it and went to a permanent site 7 hours away and then went back to the dealership 5 months later. Our trailer is relatively brand new still and was only used on the permanent site about 5 times.

I just looked on the dealerships website to get some information for my lawyer and the Service Manager that I spoke of being very inexperienced (had just started working there that week) that fixed the door stopper is the Service Manager... lol This just gets worse and worse.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin42 View Post
We did finance. I will contact the bank today to let them know and see if they can help. I emailed the lawyer this morning and also emailed the troubleshooters at the news stations in my area.

Surprisingly I just got a phone call from the dealership telling me that my trailer should be back at the dealer today or tomorrow and that it is fixed. I don't believe a word they say anymore though and am not sure if I trust that it is actually fixed properly.

Good luck! Idea! Take an experienced RV mechanic. Worth the money, I would think! Considering it is a holiday w/e, it might be difficult to find one, which may be the dealership's strategy. Be Careful! Also, check for soft spots/rot on walls and floor from those leaks. You should have those repaired, if any, before you take it back. If they refuse, I would again contact the bank, lawyer, action line. This is so upsetting!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #12

I actually live in Canada so it isn't a holiday here. I will try and find an RV Mechanic to come with us when we pick it up though. That is an awesome idea.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #13

Well- it has been almost 3 weeks now since I originally posted this. I have heard from the dealership once since then telling me that the unit still isn't ready but he will try and keep me posted...

I have talked with a lawyer- but lawyers are busy and he is getting my case together so we will see how long that takes.

Frustrating. Thought I would give everyone who posted an update though.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #14

I do not see what a lawyer can do for you, first the dealership is not required by any law to fix the unit, the manufacturer is. If its a lemon case than you will be paying on a trailer that you will not be able yo use for some time to come. As far as the bank, they will not care, if you stop paying they will take possession and sue for the costs. You really need to talk to someone from Palomino and stop talking to the dealer.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote