Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2017, 11:14 PM   #21
Denver, CO

I have had an easy start for a year now and it works great, as advertised. I run my AC at 6000+ ft with no problem, it is quite an amazing device. I converted my eu2000 to propane so I don' have to carry gasoline and it seems to work fine.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:04 AM   #22

Quote:
What elevation are you at when you did the tests?
Sea level....
RB19RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNJean View Post
Microaire is a great company to deal with. I highly recommend them.

I tried to run a 15k AC unit on a Champion 2000w inverter generator and it just didn't have enough guts to start the AC. The engineers at Microaire said they had tested the Honda 2000w inverter generator and it successfully started a 15k AC unit, but the Champion had a slightly different waveform and just couldn't sustain the start amperage long enough.

There are some great Youtube videos on the Microair website and there is a very good discussion on the airstream forum - google airstream forum and Microair. There's a discount code there, too.

FWIW, Microair has a less expensive unit that is just a board and not in a box. If you have a good location on your AC unit (like on my Coleman 15k) you can save some money. Hint, get some figure 8 washers and PK screws and it is a snap to mount.
Do you know if the microare will start a 13.5 ac with the champion 2000w?
Old 08-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
Do you know if the microare will start a 13.5 ac with the champion 2000w?
It very well might, but I don't know for sure.

I would email Microaire and ask them - they have excellent customer support and often answer emails in a few minutes.

When I told them the Champion 2000 wouldn't work for me, they went out and bought one to test. They sent me lots of tech data showing the difference in the startup loads between a Honda and a Champion.

Please let us know what they say.
Springer Spaniel Furkids - (the late) Molly & Mea the Monster Puppy
Blogs BataanMissing.com & Airsafety.info
JohnNJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #25

Ok, so get this! It is Sunday night and I did email them and got a very thorough reply, very informative, in short I found out the champion 2000 won't work with my 13.5 unit i am going to have to get a yamaha or honda, I want to mount it in a home made box on my tongue behind my propain bottles, I will have to do some fab work but i want to run the ac when i stop to rest or go to the Peninsula in Erie or stop and eat, being able to run the ac while traveling would make life much easier for me. Here is what he told me....

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Yes, we have tried this combination.* Because of its low cost, we have had several customer inquire about this generator, the Champion 2000W model #73536i.* Several months ago, a customer purchased an EasyStart and had issues operating his 13.5kBTU A/C on this Champion model.* Unlike the tremendous success we've seen with customers who own Honda EU2000i, Yamaha EF2000iSv2, and a couple other popular inverter generators, the Champion did not stack up to be the same.* When the customer had issues a few months ago, we actually went ahead and purchased one of the Champion 2000W generators ourselves.* **We found that even with EasyStart installed, it could not start our 15k Dometic Penguin II, even though our Honda EU2000i could, even with ECO mode turned on.* Our conclusion was that the Champion is truly not a 2000W generator.* *The largest A/C we could start and run on this Champion 2000W with EasyStart installed was a 9kBTU marine unit.

Within the past few months, we have also receive reports from customer who could not even start and run their 13.5kBTU A/C without an EasyStart from the Champion 2800/3100W model, which explicitly advertises the fact that it can start and run a 13.5kBTU A/C.* These customers met with success when they installed an EasyStart.

In any event, we don't recommend that you purchase an EasyStart if you own this Champion 2000W.* We were equally as disappointed since the combination would have been a very low-cost solution for many customers.

Thank you again for your interest in our EasyStart products.

Matteo Giovanetti

Electrical & Controls System Engineer

matteo@microair.net

Micro-Air, Inc.

124 Route 526

Allentown, NJ 08501

609-259-2636

www.microair.net

A Sunday evening reply, tgis company must be super awesome, i am planning on getting the easy start next camping season.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:56 PM   #26

I had many back and forth with them as well. No robots. It was way nice.

Thanks for posting about the champion. It is coming off of my Amazon wishlist....

And the HF 2k will be going on the list, I guess.

This forum rocks.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #27

Pretty impressive customer support. Even though the Champion 2000 was not an option, I kept the Easystart just for the ease in starting my AC on my larger generator or on shorepower. No clunk.

You can get a really nice 3000+ Champion for less than the Honda 2000 and it will definately run your AC and everything else all at one time (even w/o the Easystart). I have a Champion 3000 that I run on LP - starts every time and no worries about old gas. I just refuse to pay for the Honda name.
Springer Spaniel Furkids - (the late) Molly & Mea the Monster Puppy
Blogs BataanMissing.com & Airsafety.info
JohnNJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:01 AM   #28

Yes, the 3ooo may be a possibility and I really like the propane option but the 3000 is too wide to fit where I want to put it without doing a lot of modifications. I will decide which way to go in the spring.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #29
Canadian Member

Ultimately you'll need to determine the total load you'll be putting on the generator assuming the numbers that Micro-Air is suggesting for the running wattage/amperage of your 13.5K. AC. Will a Honda/Yamaha 2000 provide sufficient power to handle your other power demands while running the AC or are you willing to turn off the AC temporarily while using other power hungry appliances.

Maybe RB19RR can help with that question?

It's nice to know you have options. An EasyStart is definitely less expensive than a second or larger gennie and Honda and Yamaha are solid products if you decide to go with the smaller gennie.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #30

I started this thread......Since I've installed the MicroAir, I've been camping in Western Massachusetts and now in New Hampshire. I've not seen temperatures over 60 degrees since I installed this device!!!! This morning it was 52 degrees! Had to turn on the heat...August!... Amazing.

A few observations.

It all depends on your camping style and needs......

Set up on a site for a few weeks, running a heavy 3000+ watt generator might be the way to go. No MicroAir needed. Get a big a** 6500 watt Home Depot generator and have at it!

Rest areas, Truck Stops and Walmarts......a much smaller, more portable generator with a Micro Air might be the solution. Small, lightweight, can run in the bed of the pickup if you are towing bumper-pull.

Can't shut the AC off for 3 minutes while you use the MicroWave.....There is no hope... :-)

This weekend I was set up at a Country Fair Grounds for a Motorcycle Rally I help run in Heath Massachusetts. All I had was a very long (75 feet) , 10g, extension cord from a 15amp outlet in the barn. Although I didn't need AC this weekend, I tested the MicroAir. Last year it would pop the circuit breaker in the barn. This year it worked fine. Another reason the MicroAir is a great investment if this is the type of camping you find yourself experiencing.

I rarely "camp" for the sake of "camping"......My camping trailer is a means to an end....Motorcycle rally, Cowboy Action Shooting, moto races, etc......Rarely, almost never do I have access to proper shore power. A small, quiet, fuel stingy generator is perfect for my type of camping. Couldn't be more pleased with my solar set up and my new MicroAir.

There is a device that would be ideal, but pricy.....It looks at your solar, your battery, your generator or shore power and grabs the amount of "watts" need from all sources to meet the immediate demands of the moment. the web site "rv mobile internet resource" has a whole article about this device.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #31

The device mentioned above is "Victron MultiPlus"

And you can read about it on Technomadia
Old 08-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #32

I purchased a Micro air a few months ago. I'm glad it works as advertised.
So far this Global warming summer with cool nights is a treat
GREYCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #33

I just installed the Micro Air I tell ya by the 3rd start you couldnt tell it started.

I may try to start /run it on a 20 amp circuit. It was only pulling 15 amps running.
GREYCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #34

I run my AC without a microair on a 20A circuit all the time. You'll be fine!

Sounds like the noise is down, which sounds awesome. I'm already sold on getting one, but it sounds like one more plus....
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
The EasyStart is cheaper than a 2nd Honda EU2000i but I'm curious what you have left - after the AC is running - to power the rest of the RV?
I need my electric coffee maker and microwave. 2 2000i's for me.
Ttramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator