Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb
The biggest problem is that no TT frame is made to support the trailer on any kind of jack. If you try, you will get frame flex with can cause alignment issues with doors, windows, etc. As mentioned earlier, they are stabilizers, not leveling jacks. From what I've tried, I like the X-Chocks the best.
True, but your not lifting trailer by frame. Just stabilizing it.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally View Post
Bikendan,

Do you recommend the X-Chocks or the model that are similar to normal tire chocks that extend on the ground to under each tire?

Thanks to all who have posted replies. This was awesone information!!!!!!!!!!
since i made my own out of 4x4 post and threaded stock, i can't personally recommend any retail ones.
the highest recommended ones are Roto-Choks. but they are expensive.
the X-Chocks seem to have gotten good reviews.

a search on the subject will get you lots of info.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #23

I had the same problem on my 32 footer. I bought the X Chocks and they helped a little. I then tried the BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizer Bars. They come two to a set. I bought four sets for $250.00 including shipping from Tweetys.com, installing two bars at opposing angles on each of the four scissor jacks. The trailer is now rock solid and it was a cheaper fix than the other stabilizer bars on the market.

BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar
Old 07-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #24

Before purchasing the X-chocks, look at Rotochok Online. I've never heard of anyone disappointed with the Rotochoks! (Myself included!)

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally
Bikendan,

Do you recommend the X-Chocks or the model that are similar to normal tire chocks that extend on the ground to under each tire?
Thanks to all who have posted replies. This was awesone information!!!!!!!!!!
Sally I have the sister trailer, wildwood heritage Glen 312qbud let me just say I get the same bounce and looked into this. The closest point on my tires is 15" which eliminates most of xchock type items. There are a few I did find that would fit but could not find anyone who has tried them and there were $80+ each do I didn't test myself.

Salem and wildwood should be identical, so make sure what you purchase will cover the tire gap
Old 07-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #26

We have a 26 ft. Wildwood ultralite and experienced the same. I bought a pair of x-chalks http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001V8...0315605&sr=8-3 and solved 90% of the problem. Well worth the $$$ for me.

2006 T23FBL Wildwood Lite
2009 Ford E-350 Super Duty 5.4L 3.73
kevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #27

Sally: We have a Rockwood 2604 (30') and had a lot of movement. Wheel chocks helped with the front to rear movment of the trailer, but there was still and issue with side to side movement at the real. That's where the stabilizing cross bars come in. I made a set for our trailer. From Home Depot 3 - 4' galvinized angle iron bars with pre-drilled holes and slots, and 4 - 4" strap hinges. Two of the 4' bars are used for the brace between a jack base and the other jack mount on the rear of the trailer going side to side. The other 4' section was cut in half and went from the rear jack base forward to the step mount (or a point on the frame if you don't have a rear door) for addition front to rear stabilzation. The hindges are bolted to the bars and then to the jacks at the appropriate point. Total cost $45.00 vs approx $200 for Camping World Bal-Stabilation Bars.
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #28

Our new 21SS Hybrid only seems to have a problem when we are trying to sleep and the kids are moving around on their bunk on the opposite end of ours. When they move, we move. We were wondering if that is perhaps the nature of the beast or will some of these solutions like wheel chocks and such help us? During normal daytime activities we have not noticed any movement issues that are noticeably excessive.
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #29

still movement

All of this information is great.

I bought the X-Chocks and they minimally helped. Think I might need to go in the direction of those stabilizer rods and the jacks in front of the tires. I am going to give the X-Chocks one more try and take them back if I don't see better results.

Would like more information on how to make the home made stabilizer bars and where to place the jacks by the tires (from Ruben).

Also, on a frustrating note. The new 312QBUD we bought is falling apart all over the place. The list is too long to write here but we have leaks in the slides and tub. Cabinet doors are falling off and screws are stripped. The awning does not roll up tight. Our floor creaks. Both couch frames were not screwed to studs and have come out of the walls. So many more to list. Our dealer is working with us and I have called Forest River. This does not seem right though....

We had a Layton 24' for 10 years and nothing broke on it before trading it in for this 2012 model. I am thinking Lemon but doubt we will get that.

Any comments?

Thanks again!

Sally
sally is offline   Reply With Quote