Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #1

Jacks down alarm HELP! Need advice ASAP.

The "jacks down" alarm went off and we stopped as soon as we could do so safely to check it out. Jacks weren't down but the hydraulic fluid was pouring out and apparently had been since it was sprayed under the coach & dripping off in several places.

We aren't too far from Amarillo, TX and wondered if it was safe to drive it another 40 some miles without the jacks falling.

Details:

2011 Georgetown 280DS
4500 miles

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It takes fluid to hold them up. Can't really advise, other than stop and look every few miles.
Glow slow, and listen for grinding. If you here it, stop, out of the moving lane of traffic.

If you have a piece of rope, you might could tie them up.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #3

They stayed up and we're at an RV park in Amarillo, TX trying to figure out our next step.

2011 Georgetown 280DS
Old 09-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #4

DH just crawled around under the bus and it seems that all the oil has leaked out & the hydraulic tank is empty. When we first stopped and saw it leaking it was pouring from the tank's protective shield.

This happened after we'd been on the road for a few hours and not during the operation of the jacks. Does anyone have any guesses as to what might be the problem? Could the tank have been punctured? I-40 is really rough in places so could something have shaken loose?

I called a FR dealer in OKC who said that FR would authorize independent repair techs to do the warranty work but how does one go about finding someone qualified?

2011 Georgetown 280DS
Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

might just be a loose fitting on the tank ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #6

Update!

Thank heavens we didn't have to depend on an RV dealer/service to save the day. After consulting with a service tech (a couple of times) DH filled the reservoir with oil and discovered the leak. It was around a loose seal or O ring or something or other that could be tightened.

The irritating beeping went away and we're able to use the jacks again! Fingers crossed that it all works long enough to get home.

All this makes me wonder what happens if the coach isn't drivable. Every place we called to ask about service claimed they were anywhere from a week to 2 weeks booked up. I would hope that dealers make allowances for sitiuations that render the coach undrivable.

2011 Georgetown 280DS
Old 09-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Site Team

I love a happy ending!
Thanks for the followup.
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #8

I don't know what brand of jacks you have, but several years ago the folks at HWH told me to drive with the "store" button pushed after I'd been having that problem. They said that gravity and road vibrations can cause the jacks to come down slightly (the alarm will trip at less than 1/4"), and that having the jacks storing will offset that issue.

I've never had the alarm go off again when I've remembered to push the button, but it's happened frequently when I've forgotten after restarting the engine. In those cases, just pushing "store" again resolves the problem.
Bob-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Aaaaaaaaaaaa the dreaded loose fitting.
I'm right once and awhile!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #10

New Update!

When we retracted the jacks this morning, it started leaking again but DH and his tool box was able to stop it. We really hated to have to worry about it and hydraulic oil across OK, MO, IL & IN so we decided to stop at Dave's RV in Claremore, OK. We were going that way anyway and DH thought maybe he could get an O ring and fix it himself but the service manager at Dave's offered fix it under warranty.

They even offered to let us bring the boxer kids inside!

2011 Georgetown 280DS