Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #1

Jensen GPS is not a good system

I wish Forest River would find another supplier for their navigation system. Jensen is not user friendly and does not get you where you want to go in an efficient manner!! Yesterday, because we chose the "short" route, we went weaving through the suburbs of Atlanta, taking us an hour and a half LONGER time wise to get to our destination. I understand the difference between short and fast, but either option should be somewhat reasonable. This is only one example. I don't have these problems with the GPS in my truck, or with my phone. Unfortunately, the motor home is where I REALLY NEED a reliable, user friendly system. But it is where I have the absolute worst. I wish there was someone I could talk to about it. But I haven't found out who. Anyone else having these problems? Or am I just GPS challenged?
DYK640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #2

FR did use the Magnadyne, but there where so many complaints (and rightly so for the early ones) they went to the Jensen.
I still have the Magnadyne and like it. I found it to be very accurate, maybe a little higher learning curve than some, but seems most people did not spend the time to get familiar with it. It is more accurate than my Garmin, which surprised.

I have not seen many complaints for the Jensen.

I know this does not help much, if any, but is a little background on why you have a Jensen.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #3

I got the one from Rand McNally that is made for RVs. It works well after you figure out how to set it up. After getting preferences setup with all the RV info it had worked well for us.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

Trailer: how long have u had it? I've gone through 3 connectors in 3 years. Sent the unit back to RM and still didn't help. Crapped out again yesterday in the middle of our Southern trip. Will use GPS on my iPhone/iPad for balance of trip. Getting a Garmin when I get home . Don't mind spending money, just hate wasting it!
acerv47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #5

I have had the unit almost 4 years. It will be 4 years in June or July. haven't had any issues out of it. Do make sure you keep the maps up to date. Forgot to do that before leaving on a trip to Alabama. They had several new roads. I updated at first campsite and all was good after that.
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. I got my RV in November, and the first unit was not functioning from the get go. So I had it replaced, and though the second one functions, it just seems to be hard to get a decent route out of it. I have to second guess it with my phone, making me feel like I too wasted my money. I really bought it to be able to use in Canada, where I can't use my phone. So I guess I will have to buy a second GPS for those trips. Frustrating!
DYK640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #7

Make sure you have all the settings setup for how you want to travel. I found a setting of avoid small roads does very well, but if you put in prefer interstate you will have a longer trip. You can make changes and run the same trip to see which one meets your needs. Also make sure you are on RV mode or car mode. That makes a difference also.
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #8

Jensen or ANY standard audio/car company will never have a good GPS solution...especially once you get along in time after purchase. This means we need a dedicated GPS/mapping company whose business depends on happy GPS customers.
To me this means Garmin, RandMcNally, Magellan or one of the Android/iPhone app companies like Co-pilot. I have the Garmin which I am quite happy with as well as the Copilot which is less reliable on route choices & speed (lag) in my opinion.. but IS worth the money both as a backup/comparison underway and as a route planning tool.
I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of the big 3 mfrs. ... but Garmin took care of me at sea and replaced an initially defective unit with no hassels or even postage required...so absent a good reason to change...I'm with them.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote