Old 10-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #51

When I was young I went fishing a remote area... I was driving over limbs (1960 F-100) where trees had been cut... pulled fuel line off from flex connector(in cab fuel tank). Stole some hose from non-critical source(vacuum wipers) and cut up a coat wire hanger for clamps(work uniforms)...patched it up and on the way. Just in a days work.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
When I was young I went fishing a remote area... I was driving over limbs (1960 F-100) where trees had been cut... pulled fuel line off from flex connector(in cab fuel tank). Stole some hose from non-critical source(vacuum wipers) and cut up a coat wire hanger for clamps(work uniforms)...patched it up and on the way. Just in a days work.
That's pretty ingenious! I never thought to use a wire coat hanger as a clamp and now will put this tip in my bag of tricks!

Old 10-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
No shop classes in high schools anymore; everyone's looking to "go to college" now, and unless you're going to be an engineer, who needs shop? So most kids aren't exposed to fixing stuff or using tools anymore. They don't build stuff anymore, either. It's all computer games now. Sad state of affairs.
Just a couple of years ago there was a questionnaire circulated through the student body on the steps needed to change a tire. The first thing noted was over 70% of the men didn't even know where it was, how to use, where to place or even if cars today have a jack. The second telling thing is just as many women passed as the men.

Makes you wonder?
Old 10-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #54

Makes you wonder what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
Just a couple of years ago there was a questionnaire circulated through the student body on the steps needed to change a tire. The first thing noted was over 70% of the men didn't even know where it was, how to use, where to place or even if cars today have a jack. The second telling thing is just as many women passed as the men.

Makes you wonder?
Why should more men know how to do this than women? I would hope that parents would teach their kids, regardless of their sex, how to do the basics of maintenance - provided they know how to do it themselves. My Dad taught me a great deal about maintenance and I wish he had taught me about finances. Some parents have skills and/or interests in other areas.

What bothers me is the attitude that the men should be out fixing the flat tire and the women should be inside fixing their dinner... (and yes I'm male and taught my son and daughter the basics of maintenance and they both like to cook)
Old 10-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #55

I say fiddlesticks to this stuff about men vs women, and other current subjects on X, X, X, X. I will keep the focus on myself where it belongs, my marriage, and RVs.

My wife is Chinese, my neighborhood is multicultural. What I read in the newspapers bears no reality to what is going on in my relationship or my neighborhood.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #56
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
So unsubscribe to this thread..
Old 10-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #57

Is it time for popcorn?
Old 10-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #58
Left Coast

To early!...lol
Old 10-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #59

It must be too early for beer, too, I suppose.
2016 Dutchmen Denali 287RE "The Dog House"
Eaz Lift WDH w/ Blue Ox 2 1/2" trunion
EezRV TPMS
Springerdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #60
Left Coast

Here.,lol