Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #61

Definitely too early for a beer.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #62

Not if you plan to drink all day.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #63

If I was reading the forum all day long, I would probably drink all day long to maintain my

Old 10-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Why should more men know how to do this than women? I would hope that parents would teach their kids
The point wasn't sexist. It was that even though approx the same amount of women today can change a tire is that the amount of men who can, has plummeted! In the past it was expected, based on your sex, to know something along those gender lines. It seems that breaking down that barrier hasn't enlightened both sexes but by having no expectations on the sexes has allowed ignorance to be acceptable.

While stopping to drop off a friend at fraternity with 8 men present, I was asked if I knew how to change a doorknob (with instructions) that had a twist lock because the "guy" (single, not plural) who usually does it was out of town. It seems they couldn't understand how to tell which side of the door the lock belongs, while open and how to determine which direction the latch was supposed to go. All 8 watched intently as I installed and instructed them in the proper way to do it. After finishing they were toasting themselves on their accomplishment, even saying they couldn't wait until they needed to install another one.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #65
Mod free 5er

You don't learn much practical stuff playing video games your entire life.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #66

My dad used to say, if you want it done right, do it yourself and you want it done quick and right, pay a professional to do it. it just all depends what you have more of, time or money
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I deleted my original post about not understanding why most folks don't work on their own equipment.

I was frustrated when I posted it and didn't mean to offend anybody.
I understand your point. In the past I've done nearly all my own work on vehicles, house and RV's mostly because I'm particular and no one else would do the work like I wanted it done. That being said times and circumstances change. Health issues prevent me from doing most of it now especially if the work involves getting down on the ground and crawling under something. I'm still particular but I've had to learn to let someone do a lot of my repairs and maintenance. I'm still able to RV but have some limitations so letting someone else do the work allows me to continue to keep my RV. It's a sacrifice I am willing to make rather than giving up my RV all together.
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #68

Well..... let me weigh in here....

I used to work 60-70 hours a week and time was money. I would take anything needing fixed to a mechanic.

Now that I've had to retire early due to a disability, if I can do it I will. Depending on a my time vs my money, which is more valuable/doable?

That being said, I was going to take my Ram 2500 with 6.7L Cummins in to the dealer to get it's first fuel filter change. Service rep said it would run about $400 for both filters. What!!!! No way in hell I'm paying that much.

I ordered a set of Mopar OEM filters off ebay for $116 total and did it myself in about a 45min.
In this instance my money was worth more than my time.
2020 Indian Roadmaster
Toothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #69
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Parking on their lot......parking fee!....lol
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #70

"don't learn much practical stuff playing video games your entire life. "

Those video game players are the best at flying the drones, both for military and business uses.

Recently the navy launched a surveillance plane drone from a submarine drone.

Time moves on and so does expertise which becomes more and more specialized.

I like DIY but there are also limits. If you have the dollars then you have the practical application of writing a check to pay for you don't want to do or to take the time to do.

For example, I could but I'm staying off roofs, let other work on a diesel engine, etc. I can change a lock, but I don't have to unless I'm in the mood.

The last laugh is not yours.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #71
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
"don't learn much practical stuff playing video games your entire life. "

Those video game players are the best at flying the drones, both for military and business uses.

Recently the navy launched a surveillance plane drone from a submarine drone.

Time moves on and so does expertise which becomes more and more specialized.

I like DIY but there are also limits. If you have the dollars then you have the practical application of writing a check to pay for you don't want to do or to take the time to do.

For example, I could but I'm staying off roofs, let other work on a diesel engine, etc. I can change a lock, but I don't have to unless I'm in the mood.

The last laugh is not yours.
Not a great many jobs for drone pilots, but for mechanics, plumbers, electricians they are quite bountiful.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #72

IMO it has more to do with the person/place/time. My father fixed everything in my early life(late '60's up)...and I helped him. Mostly because I wanted to. My brother(circa 1973) works on nothing and chooses to not. He can sing(a little), play a guitar, draw a picture like a camera...I can do none of these. I guess we all have our talents and I think most have to do with need and raising. My GS is very mechanical(not quite 4), but wants to help and work on everything. With conditioning and instruction he will be a fixer, but he is interested. DW's oldest son took everything apart as a child(now 15+) cares nothing for it, but L O V E S video games and plays every free moment. He says he wants to be a game warden, but doesn't go outside? I dunno.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #73
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
X2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote