Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
Keeping plumbing warm

Living in western Washington we rarely see temperatures below freezing and if we do its usually only for a night or two and we don't usually worry about winterizing our rig in case we get the urge to get away for a weekend.

However the temps tonight as they have for the last few nights is expected to be in the low teens or single digits. This is the 2nd year in a row of this stuff!

I keep my rig inside our garage, I keep a space heater going inside to keep the temp around 50 degrees and I turn on the electric water heater element to keep the water warm and put some heat into that compartment to protect the pipes behind the water heater. I also turn on the arctic pack heaters for the tanks. However I have always worried a bit on these really cold nights about the water compartment where the water filter is located which also has quite a few pipes running around in it.

Now to my point. Thanks to another member here on the group who used some garden lights in his plumbing compartment, I came up with an idea to wrap a stringer of Rope Lights around my plumbing compartment and coil it around my water filter. My thinking is that they are water proof, put out heat and can be easily wrapped in and around the pipes.

That idea led me to these: Rope heater for reptile tanks which are flexible, water proof and can be easily wrapped around the plumbing.

"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
It looks almost like heat tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2565.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	55.7 KB