Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Kingpin Box Information

Hi-

This is my first post and first 5th wheel. I recently purchased a 2008 40' Sierra SPTS, and an 18k superglide hitch for my 2006 Dodge 3500 Megacab. The dealership installed the hitch and I am happy with it.

I have a problem with the amount of space between the top of the truck box and the underside of the RV; I only have about 3 inches. From looking at the hitch, I don't see any height adjustment so I am falling back to an adjustment of the Kingpin box.

Looking at the kingpin box, it looks like it is already lowered as much as possible without having to get longer angle iron/do some welding.

Does anyone know the type/mfg of kingpin box on these trailers? Have any instructions for adjustment? Is there any adjustment possible in the kingpin box?

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

First of all I would like to know if you really have a problem. 3 inches sounds like enough clearance unless you get in a really weird compound turn, (turn where truck goes up or down before trailer does). Make sure it's broke before you fix it, and I hope others with 5th wheels will chime in. Been a while since I had one. Also the lower you can keep the nose of the trailer, the better it will tow as far as wind resistance. I would try to keep the trailer level when hooked to the truck.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. Well the trailer is 40' long, and it has dented the top of the box when coming out of a parking lot and off of a curb. Looking through my superglide installation manual, it says that there must be a minimum of 6" between the underside of the trailer and top of the box. I agree with you about the lower height, but if I can't pull out of a parking lot without having this problem, there is no way I will be able to prevent box damage during hunting season/forest service roads/etc. Also the trailer is almost 14' tall, so another 3 inches probably isn't going to matter. The dealership hasn't been very helpful with information so that is why I have come here. Need specifics of the kingpin box, adj...
Old 02-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

OK, so you need 3 more inches of clearance. Better get us some pictures of the pin box, and the hitch in the truck. Maybe we can see something. Also, is there another camper dealer close by you might get to look at it? Have you checked the manufacture website for updated instructions?

http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/3346.pdf

Wicked set of directions. Also 800 support number. Might give them a call. I would still be mad at dealer as the directions state 6 inches of clearance, and customer responsibility to alter the pin box. Clearly dealer mis-installed another hitch.
Just some thoughts.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Commercial Member

There is no adjustment in a Superglide hitch.......

That said, I have heard there is a "lift kit" available to raise the hitch in the bed. If your pinbox is already as low as it will go, you may be able to replace it, possibly look at a 5th Airborne or similar pinbox. When I replaced mine, it was about 1 1/2" lower than the original, and I can't raise mine any higher.

I have about 6-7 inches clearance....

Upon edit---

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...s-14-2433.html
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the information! I did receive a reply from Pullrite and the Pullrite 4408 is the 3" lift kit for the superglide, it is a new product. They also confirmed there is no adjustment of the hitch itself. I have ordered it from camping world as the price was $139 with my membership. I will post after its installed and provide some pictures of the king pin box and hitch. I am still curious about any adjustment in the king pin box.

Side note, what do you guys know about flipping axles?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:53 AM   #7

I have a 2008 Sierra 295RLT I pull with 2006 F250 have 7" clearence.Springs on mine are on top of axles from factory.I changed to Trailair pinbox and had to lower hitch in truck to keep trailer level.You also need to keep truck and trailer level.Some have had to make changes in truck suspension and change spring hangers on trailer to keep both level and get enough clearence to bed.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #8

The lift kit arrived and I finally got around to installing it; it hasn't been a priority because the trailer has been at the dealership since last August for warranty work. They have basically been storing it due to parts shortage, DOA parts, etc. No worries on my part as I was out of the country, its winter, etc.

Here is the hitch without the lift kit. I use a hoist to install/remove the hitch from the truck alone as it is to heavy for one person to lift.

Here's what came in the box:

Here you can see the hitch, with its standard rail system removed, and where the lift kit is installed.

Here is the hitch with the lift kit installed. Nothing to exciting, torque bolts to 75lbs, which seems to be the torque of the rest of the frame bolts as well. This should bring me to 6" of space. I am excited to hook it up and check everything out and wonder if I will need to move the springs to the top of the axles; but ultimately will probably make it more "off road" friendly.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #9

Glad you were able to get a kit and raise the hitch.

Bill
2008 GMC Duramx-2500HD 4x4 CrewCab
52 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank
Reese18K Signature Series 5th Wheel Hitch With Slider #30085
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote