Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 01:26 AM   #1

Kitchen cabinet above sink pulling away from wall.

The top of my kitchen cabinet above the sink is pulling away from the wall. I have tightened all the screws I can see. I can look between the cabinet and the wall and see screw threads. I don't know how to get to these screws. They are either in the opening that the power station is mounted in or behind the wall in the linen closet depending on how it was mounted. Can someone tell me how to get to and tighten these screws without destroying my cabinets? 2015 Columbus 320 RS. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinets 1.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	114226

Name:	Cabinets 2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	114227

Name:	Cabinets 3.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	114228
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #2

I do not know enough to know if you walls have wooden studs or not, but if they do, I might consider some of the brass screw in anchors that are used in building furniture. I have used these in my sailboat and they work great. They have wood screw threads on the outside and then machine threads on the inside. So you drill a hole the right size and screw the anchor in. The you use a machine threaded bolt to attach your cabinet. You can use some locktite to help out as well.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #3

RV walls and studs are usually very thin and its difficult to secure cabinets to them.

If I was in your situation, I'd use a construction adhesive and apply it liberally to the entire back of your cabinet and then secure it with some additional screws so it holds and can cure.

Using adhesive will spread the load of the cabinet to a greater surface area which will give you greater holding capacity than poorly mounted screws to too thin substrate.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #4

More quality builds from FR . you know your not supposed to use the cabinets . there just for looks and maybe some paper plates if your not moving ! I do know the xlr 29 hsf i have now which i've been fairly lucky with was my first and will be my last RV . After this it's back to a truck mounted pop up camper . last northstar i had lasted over 24 yrs with no issues and was still working well for the guy that bought it to this day
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #5

Be sure any replacement screws you are anchor into a wall stud and not a void. Use coarse thread screws, they hold best in soft wood. Do NOT use drywall screws, they are brittle and heads can snap off. Deck screws work well, just be certain they are not too long. The construction adhesive (Liquid Nails, etc) is a good suggestion if you have enough clearance to apply it.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #6

They have missed the studs or you have Overloaded that cab! The fasteners must go into a Stud be it Alum or Wood,Cabs can't be secured to RV walls without Backing! Most fasteners are hidden but you Still should be able to Access Them,they did! Youroo!! PS feel Fortunate most Cab/Drawers bottoms fail!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:38 AM   #7

In an RV as in our homes,,, all heavy items must be in a lower cabinet !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #8

Here is an update on my problems with the above sink kitchen cabinets pulling away from the wall. I finally decided I needed to tear into something to see what the problem was. I decided the best way to do this would be to go through the wall in the coat closet. At least if I tore something up it would be somewhat hidden. I started by pulling off the trim. To digress for a moment a few weeks ago I bumped the trim on the corner of the lower sink cabinet while sweeping, knocking it off. It had been attached with three finishing nails. It was simple to re-attach it by using slightly more than three finishing nails. Back to my story. The small piece of trim in the coat closet was held by 13 nails. The other two pieces were held by 10 and 8 nails, so they were all well attached. (If only they had attached my sink corner lower trim as well I would not have been forced to fix it.) I then managed to remove the also well attached closet wall so that I could see behind the kitchen cabinet. The problem was instantly evident. The four screws used to attach the right side of the cabinet to the wall had all missed the brace intended to secure the screws. The cabinet was being held only by the screws going into the very thin wallboard. I am not a carpenter and know very little about carpentry but I fixed it the best way I could think of. I used "L" brackets to attach the side of the cabinet to the brace. At the top I used two "L" brackets, one going into the brace and one going into a 2X4. Hopefuly this will keep the cabinet from falling off onto the floor. Actually I think it is very secure now and it does not look as bad as it could have. The dishes block the view of the "L" brackets. I put my coat closet back together and it didn't look bad either. I have attached pictures showing what I did. I have kept a detailed list of things that have had to be repaired on my 2015 Columbus 320RS and this is number 68.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	114597   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	114598   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	114599   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	114600   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	114601  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	114608  
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:10 AM   #9

Looks like a good fix.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:30 AM   #10

Yep,like I thought they Missed the Studs,by removing the rear wall you now know it is secure! Youroo!!
Old 07-19-2016, 06:40 AM   #11

Good job!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sink, cabinets