Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #1

laminate flooring??

We just got our 03 flagstaff last week, but I realy hate the green carpets, I'm thinking of ripping that out and replace it with laminate flooring, I would do the slide at the same time.
Has any one else done this? Does the slide still slide in properly without scratching up the new flooring?

Menno.
sewerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
Kev

I did our 94 Companion with a laminate that had a foam underlay attached to the flooring. The one problem that I had is that I cut it too tight and it squeaked against the cabinetry, even with a silicone bead against it to prevent water and etc from getting underneath.

Super easy to clean up, and looked fantastic. We didnt have a slide so not sure how that would work out.

Kevin
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #3

How much flooring did you purchase and use? I'm trying to get a rough idea for my 27' that doesn't have any slides. Thanks.
chilbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
Kev

The best way to do it would be to figure it out in smaller areas, like the area under your table would be 2 foot by 4 foot which would be 8 sq feet. Then move on and then when you have your sq footage add a box just to be safe. Maybe buy from a place like Home Depot or Costco where if you have extra it isnt a problem to return it. Be careful about buying the last few boxes that a store has in stock as if you need more you may be out of luck.

Good luck.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #5

thanks, i'm looking forward to getting started
Old 02-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #6

I would suggest checking out vinyl plank "laminate" flooring. I just installed some in our TT. I'm thrilled with the product and results. It's only about 1/8" thick so it doesn't interfere much with door sills, cabinet doors, etc. It clicks together like regular laminate and cuts easily using a chop saw and table saw. Super easy to install overall.

The biggest problem I had is that trailers aren't really built that well and not much is straight, plumb, square and level. I had to scribe a lot of the perimeter pieces to maintain an even 1/8" gap around.

The brand we used is called Aquaproof and it's fairly new on the market so I don't know how easy it is to find. The best thing is that it is 100% waterproof so you don't have to worry about wet dogs and spills. For those who might consider the vynil stuff, check out reviews on the 'net. I read a lot of negative comments about the Home Depot product.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #7

Thanks for the great replies! do any of you have pictures of the finished product??
Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #8

Here's a few before and after pix of the installation I just finished. The 60/70s kitchen reno look is gone and now it looks and feels like a high end unit. Not sure why so many manufacturers go with the same-ish looking lino pattern, especially when there are so many choices in sheet flooring that include laminate-looking ones.

I neglected to mention previously that the vinyl laminate I used is an interlocking type and not the type that gets glued down/together. I can't praise the product we bought enough and I would not hestitate to use it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	10756   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	10757   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	10758   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	10759  
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #9

That looks great! nice work
Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #10

looks fantastic, just be careful now the DW will have you do more upgrades
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #11

starting (and hopefully finishing) my flooring tomorrow! I got some really nice engineered bamboo for free that a buddy had leftover from a job. I'll hopefully have pictures up tomorrow night
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer
Here's a few before and after pix of the installation I just finished. The 60/70s kitchen reno look is gone and now it looks and feels like a high end unit. Not sure why so many manufacturers go with the same-ish looking lino pattern, especially when there are so many choices in sheet flooring that include laminate-looking ones.

I neglected to mention previously that the vinyl laminate I used is an interlocking type and not the type that gets glued down/together. I can't praise the product we bought enough and I would not hestitate to use it again.
This looks wonderful. Wondering where you can purchase this product? Did you lay it right over the original lino flior?
Cyn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #13

I am going to start my floor soon. Installing Antique Hardscraped Hickory Laminate from Lowes. Will see if it goes the way I want it too!!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #14

That really is a nice upgrade....look's like you did a great job.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #15

Thanks for the comments!

Cyn61, not sure where you are. We bought ours at "King of Floors" in Surrey, B.C. Not sure if it is exclusive to them. The only other one I found around here was at Home Depot and it is thicker plus I read a LOT of negative comments on it on the internet. The HD brand is a lot thicker too.

The one at King of Floors is interlocking like regular laminate but is only about 1/8" thick. This really helps when running under cabinet doors since sometimes they are really close to the floor. Even then, I had to raise a couple of doors (easy to do). I would look around and see what is out there and look for reviews on the internet.

Yes, I put it down right over the old lino. One advantage is that if anyone ever wanted to remove it, the lino is undamaged and could be used again. The lino in campers runs wall to wall under cabinets and everything else and is just stapled at the outer edges. It *could* be removed by cutting around the perimeter edges, but I don't see any big advantage in removing the old lino other than saving weight.

One other comment I might add is that it is harder than installing in a house because you are working in such small tight/confined areas plus the overall area will have a lot of jigs and jogs in it so there's a lot of measuring and cutting. But it is still a do-it-yourself proposition.

After one full season of camping with it, we love it. Sure makes our TT feel like a really expensive unit when it's not, lol.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #16

Thanks for the input myredracer...wondering if the product you used was vinyl or the more traditional laminate flooring? It looks like real wood in the pics and not vinyl!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #17

Hi Cyn61,

The "laminate" flooring I used is made with ABS, a sort of plastic, that is commonly used for waste plumbing in houses because it is so durable and resistant to damage from common chemicals you'd have around a house. It is 100% waterproof - great for an RV.

It has a finish layer bonded to the ABS which looks like real wood but is some type of plastic.

There are two basic types of laminate used in a house. One is made from compressed sawdust and glue (typically much cheaper) and the other has laminated layers of thin wood just like normal plywood. The first one has a bonded layer on top for the finish, and the second type is usually (always?) real finished wood on the top layer.

Regular laminates in houses can be quite thick, around 5/8" which can pose problems in an RV. These laminates are not fully waterproof either, with some better than others. In addition, they can be easily damaged by high heeled shoes, dog's nails and dropping objects onto it.

We are so happy with it, we are thinking of using it in a rental suite in our house because a tenant can spill anything on to it and it will not be damaged.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #18

Thanks for the additional info! Much appreciated! I am not anywhere near your local, but I will look for something with similar characteristics!