Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #1

Laptop Problems

Was poking around last week and must have messed something up but can't figure out what. I am running Windows XP home on a Dell laptop. The messages I am getting are:

Instruction at oxooc89eec referenced at memory location oxoooooooo could not be written.

To help protect your computer Generic host process for win32 services has closed.

I have McAfee and Spyware doctor running and have run Adaware several times but the messages still sporadically come up. I have the original OS installation disk but it is service pack 2 and the current version on the machine is SP 3 so it is difficult to reinstall.

Any clues as to what to look at would be appreciated.
tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #2

Can you boot up at all? If so, try running System Restore and choose a date prior to when you were poking around. That may solve the problem.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #3

I looked at that and it won't allow me to access a date prior to the problem.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #4

Crap. Is this error giving you the Blue Screen of Death?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #5

No - just causing these other messages to pop up at various times.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #6

It is possible it might be a memory problem but I am not certain about that. The easiest thing would be to put new memory in the machine to see if that solves the problem. The one issue with that of course is it will cost some money. But it is relatively easy to do. If it works, problem solved. If not, you might need to re-install the OS.

Re-installing the OS might be your best bet but will require you to save any data files you have on to a memory stick or CD/DVD. You also will need all of your program installation disks. Sometimes a complete re-format is the best thing to do but requires time. It is not hard to do, but takes some time to re-install everything you had. It does give you an opportunity to get rid of old files you no longer need and will ultimately speed the machine up, at least for a while.

It is also no problem to upgrade to SP-3 once you re-install the OS. Simply go to the Microsoft website and download all of the security patches. It will be one of them.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
Actually, you can re-install windows without loosing all your data. I have done it a few times on personally systems and a few times on work systems. I supports computer systems for my job. If you do reformat, then you will need to save data.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #8

It is a memory problem. Go to START...RUN...then type "msconfig" in the box. Select Start-Up tab and you'll see all sorts of crap that runs at start-up. De-select all 'extra' stuff but leave your firewall/anti-virus. By turning them "off" you're not deleting anything and all with run, but not at start-up...only when needed.

See if that helps. Windows Media Center (not the player itself, but the program that allows you to watch / record TV) is notorious for that type of memory error.

Let us know how it goes.

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
Site Team

Sounds like a bad ram location to me. I agree with Kim. Change out the memory card(s) and see what happens. Wally World has laptop ram pretty cheap. Might be a chance to upgrade to larger as well.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #10

My Dell has an option to be able to restore it to the state it was in when it left the factory. Took about 10 mins. I did that and it seems to be running fine. I now must install all the third party software that I had on the machine, but that is minor compared to the problems I was having.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Ace_Clark Send a message via Yahoo to Ace_Clark
Hey, if you haven't fixed this yet? IM me on AIM as dmzkiller1. This could be a ram issue, thermal issue, bad driver, corrupted driver. It could be a variety of things. Do NOT buy ram at Walmart. Buy off Ebay or Newegg.com.
Ace_Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #12

I have a Dell Inspiron which has a feature that allows you to restore the computer to the way it was when it left the factory. I did that and it has been running fine since so something must have gotten corrupted that was overwritten when I did the restore.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
CampeRooo

If you have another computer or a friend with one, download a program called memtest86+ and burn it to a cd... then boot from the cd rom drive. If you have bad memory, it will flag it in this program with several lines written in red.

: ) good luck

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote